Ear mite healing concerns

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Buns

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
One of our does came with ear mites. The breeder treated her before she delivered her but the treatment clearly failed. When I realized it I treated her ear and then again to get any that hatched. This doe is not friendly and rarely even gives me a look in her ears without completely loosing it. She should be pregnant and I was really hoping she'd be healed by now. It's been well over a month since treatment. Don't have the date in front of me at the moment. She gets her nesting box tomorrow. Finally got some pictures and was hoping for some of the more opinion on it. I'm probably over worrying about her as she doesn't pick at that ear, shake her head or anything but it is warmer to the touch, harder than it should be, clearly inflamed and quite full of scabs which could just be the healing process. I really just want her to be comfortable.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

IMG_5772.jpeg IMG_5773.jpeg

One of our does came with ear mites. The breeder treated her before she delivered her but the treatment clearly failed. When I realized it I treated her ear and then again to get any that hatched. This doe is not friendly and rarely even gives me a look in her ears without completely loosing it. She should be pregnant and I was really hoping she'd be healed by now. It's been well over a month since treatment. Don't have the date in front of me at the moment. She gets her nesting box tomorrow. Finally got some pictures and was hoping for some of the more opinion on it. I'm probably over worrying about her as she doesn't pick at that ear, shake her head or anything but it is warmer to the touch, harder than it should be, clearly inflamed and quite full of scabs which could just be the healing process. I really just want her to be comfortable.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

View attachment 43025 View attachment 43024
That looks like a relatively major infestation, and its being inflamed and crusty like that would make me suspect it was not mite-free or actually healing. If she came that way, she could be very unhappy about being handled simply because her ears are hurting and she doesn't want them touched. Poor little one!

What treatment did the breeder use? I have always had good results with oil (sweet oil, olive oil, or mineral oil), but the trick is to get everything in the ear coated with it. When there is a big build-up of scabs/dead tissue like that, it can be difficult for the oil to reach the mites on the first or second application.

In the past when I've treated rabbits that had serious infestations, we've used a daily application of oil over the course of a week or more; I only stop when it's obvious that the crusts and inflammation are receding, and there are no more crusts forming. I go fairly generously with the oil, and do a good round of gentle massage each time (very gentle, because the ear is already irritated and painful), to make sure the oil gets in and on everything all the way down into the ear. Holding the rabbit and massaging it in, focusing the massage on the base of the ear, not only helps move the oil, but it also gives the oil more time to coat the ear, since once you let the rabbit go, she'll shake and scratch a lot of it out. This is not entirely bad if you've gotten the oil way down, though, since that shaking and scratching will also loosen up some of the crusts that the mites can use to hide from the oil.

If you've got a rabbit that does not cooperate with you holding her, you might consider wrapping her up in a towel or rag. When I'm tattooing rabbits, I basically swaddle the rabbit so that it won't hurt me or itself if it startles. I use big rags - old t-shirt material is my favorite since it's stretchy - and wrap the rabbit up as tightly in the stretchy material as I can, leaving the head and ears out, of course. Then I hold the rabbit snuggled on my lap with its hindquarters gently wedged between my legs while I work on its ears. I hold it firmly, and usually the rabbit will just sit there, but holding on too tightly can result in its struggling to get free.

If she's due within the week and really objects to being handled, I'd probably hold off till at least a few days-to-a-week after she kindles. Even a significant infestation isn't usually an emergency, and most likely won't cause bigger problems if it's let go a few more days. But it will sap her energy and eventually might affect the kits as well.

Another option is ivermectin, but that's another treatment I'd wouldn't necessarily use on a doe during late pregnancy or lactation if I could avoid it.

Thank you for the help.
She did come with about 3/4 the amount of what's pictured. It cleared up over time for the most part then came back with a vengeance. It was less on the first treatment I did and got more scabs after the second treatment. It appears as if the treatment made it worse. Can't be sure but that's how it seemed. She was treated with a natural mite formula which I also purchased on the breeders recommendation and use it twice myself. I wanted to use ivermectin but read that while pregnant it shouldn't be used. I will give her a dose when it's safe to do so if not cleared up by then. She absolutely will not let me touch her ear to treat it now. She gets pretty defensive. I don't blame her really but all the rabbits I got aren't really handleable. I think it may be bothering me more than her now but I don't like having that sort of stuff going on. Being pregnant (in theory) adds another difficulty to the situation. I wish I had determined the treatment may not have been effective before she was exposed. When is it safe to give ivermectin and how much? I have all sorts of it that I can choose from. I'm truly not even sure if it's healing, gotten more irritated due to the herbs in the treatment but all the mites are taken care of. I don't want to treat with ivermectin if the mites are gone. Just really hoped to see noticeable healing by now. I will wrap her in a towel after she's delivered and had her litter for a bit and get in there better. I have a lot of experience doing that with cats. Should be near the same probably. That's probably the only way I'll be able to "hold" her. Thanks a bunch!

Thank you for the help.
She did come with about 3/4 the amount of what's pictured. It cleared up over time for the most part then came back with a vengeance. It was less on the first treatment I did and got more scabs after the second treatment. It appears as if the treatment made it worse. Can't be sure but that's how it seemed. She was treated with a natural mite formula which I also purchased on the breeders recommendation and use it twice myself. I wanted to use ivermectin but read that while pregnant it shouldn't be used. I will give her a dose when it's safe to do so if not cleared up by then. She absolutely will not let me touch her ear to treat it now. She gets pretty defensive. I don't blame her really but all the rabbits I got aren't really handleable. I think it may be bothering me more than her now but I don't like having that sort of stuff going on. Being pregnant (in theory) adds another difficulty to the situation. I wish I had determined the treatment may not have been effective before she was exposed. When is it safe to give ivermectin and how much? I have all sorts of it that I can choose from. I'm truly not even sure if it's healing, gotten more irritated due to the herbs in the treatment but all the mites are taken care of. I don't want to treat with ivermectin if the mites are gone. Just really hoped to see noticeable healing by now. I will wrap her in a towel after she's delivered and had her litter for a bit and get in there better. I have a lot of experience doing that with cats. Should be near the same probably. That's probably the only way I'll be able to "hold" her. Thanks a bunch!
It does sound like the treatment may have been part of the problem. I'd be interested in hearing what you used, or at least a list of the ingredients in the preparation.

In any case, I'd go with simple oil (tip: warm it in your hand before you drop it in). Olive oil would be my first choice because it has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe that irritated skin, but any of the oils I mentioned will have emollient effects that will help soften the crusts, making them less uncomfortable for the rabbit. The crusts, by the way, aren't exactly scabs but rather a combination of mite feces and saliva, rabbit skin cells, and blood. Don't try to scrape them off, as you might end up with open wounds and secondary infection (though you can take a little bit that crumbles off and look at it under a microscope, if you have the stomach for that - you might see the mites and/or eggs). Softening and loosening the crusts with oil will help them to fall off by themselves once there are no longer mites creating them.

If you've worked with cantankerous cats, you probably won't have too much trouble holding an uncooperative rabbit. :ROFLMAO:

You might also think about providing your bunny with willow branches. Willow bark contains a natural analgesic, salicylic acid, and rabbits in pain often will chew the bark to self-medicate. (They'll usually be happy to eat willow bark and leaves when they're not in pain, too!)

A note about prevention...it would be good to clean up any areas of her cage/hutch where mites could hide. That includes hay and especially straw - I've had ear and fur mites hitch a ride into my barn in straw several times. It also includes wooden hutch edges and the nest box and bedding itself. If you can find a metal nest box, that would be the best option. But I'd plan on a good decontamination/cleaning of any areas that could harbor mites as soon as you can let the bunnies out of the box (ca. 14-18 days).

Good luck and God bless!

Would it be possible to oil up a cotton ball and place in her ear? Does anyone use young living essential oils to help treat this problem? Keep working with her especially after birth and maybe she will not be so hateful. My doe was always pretty grumpy during pregnancy.

With late pregnancy I would stick with Mineral Oil, even though olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties, Mineral Oil is more penetrating and wont irritate her stomach if she ingests it. I wouldn't use a cotton ball unless you are sitting there holding her as rabbits cannot vomit and the cotton ball will not pass through her system if ingested as well. Now I have used Ivermectin during both pregnancy and lactation but I did it during the first two weeks of pregnancy and during the 4th week of lactation, when the kits where starting to be weaned by the mom. I have one doe that is prone to mites when under stress so I keep the ivermectin and mineral oil on hand for her specifically and for any others I see signs of it in.

@Alaska Satin
IMG_5802.jpegIMG_5803.jpeg
The breeder uses this the majority of the time on their rabbits with zero issues. This doe has been treated with it at least once before coming to us. It did look similar while healing but a lot less than it is now. However it was only 1 treatment and I did 2 to try and get the second crop. I was wondering about coconut oil since it has antibacterial properties to it.
I would absolutely check a slide under a microscope if I could get a sample without stressing her out. I'll probably do that anyways after she's kindled and settled down a bit. I run fecal and semen samples in house so I think my tummy will be ok. ;):geek:😂
I have handled a ton of ferals. We do a lot of trap neuter release work along with working with feral kittens to rehome. I don't yet have a feel for rabbits and worry about hurting them but it sounds like I should be ok.
That is a very useful tidbit about the willow bark. We lost our willows in a fire last year but I'll keep an eye out for someone around who has some. That's a fantastic tip. Thank you!
We do have metal nesting boxes. I will clean everything again though when I can safely do that. Everything she has is metal or ceramic so it's pretty easy to do.
Thank you so much for the advice and tips! May God Bless you and yours 🙂

Would it be possible to oil up a cotton ball and place in her ear? Does anyone use young living essential oils to help treat this problem? Keep working with her especially after birth and maybe she will not be so hateful. My doe was always pretty grumpy during pregnancy.
I can't at the moment with her so close to kindling. She's awful to handle on a good day and refuses to let me anywhere near her ear. It is fairly swollen inside too which won't allow for anything to be put inside the ear as of now.
Thank you. She's been the one we called witchy from the moment I picked her up. The sweeter one is actually the worst since getting bred. She's quite vocal and at times comes at me. My hope was to pick some better temperamented offspring and handle them to hopefully end this cycle.

I had a buck come to me like that. 1 drop of injectable Ivermectin in each ear. 6 days apart and only 2 doses and it was all gone. No problems since. Ivermectin is pretty innocuous as medicines go and I have used it on pregnant does if it was necessary.
Great information. Thank you! I'll look and see if I have any straight ivermectin injectable. If not I'll get some on my next order. I know I have plus but that's not what we want for rabbits I'm sure. Thanks again!

With late pregnancy I would stick with Mineral Oil, even though olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties, Mineral Oil is more penetrating and wont irritate her stomach if she ingests it. I wouldn't use a cotton ball unless you are sitting there holding her as rabbits cannot vomit and the cotton ball will not pass through her system if ingested as well. Now I have used Ivermectin during both pregnancy and lactation but I did it during the first two weeks of pregnancy and during the 4th week of lactation, when the kits where starting to be weaned by the mom. I have one doe that is prone to mites when under stress so I keep the ivermectin and mineral oil on hand for her specifically and for any others I see signs of it in.
I plan to cull her after she's earned her purchase price back hopefully. Between temperament and this continual ear mite issues I don't think she's a good candidate in our breeding program. I may be wrong but that's just how I'm thinking about it. I think I will wait and check a sample to see if she even still has any mites before treating with ivermectin.
Thanks!

This evening I got another look in her ear. She's now got scratch marks in it. It is less hot and less hard also. I am seeing a lot of the scabs gone but it's still pretty scabbed down low inside. Looks closed up still. I gave her the nesting box yesterday which she has just used as a litter box so I removed it. I'm not sure if she's even bred at this point. This doe wasn't receptive for the buck the first try but was the second after recommendations here. She wasn't receptive 12 hours after the first. Now with her using the nesting box as a litter box I'm thinking maybe she isn't bred. I'll wait a few more days then attempt to ivermectin her. I need to get these cleared up if they are still there. I'm not sure she would be scratching it again if not for mites returning.

I feel your pain! I'd keep up with the oil for at least three weeks after you haven't seen any. Also one of the worst tempered does I ever saw became and stayed a sweet pet like animal after her first litter... Which came on day 42 and I thought in day 41 it's your third try madam freezer camp for you. She pooped in her box too so I took it out and threw it in in a hurry when I saw her pulling hair. She breeds easy now and is a stellar mom. So good luck!

I feel your pain! I'd keep up with the oil for at least three weeks after you haven't seen any. Also one of the worst tempered does I ever saw became and stayed a sweet pet like animal after her first litter... Which came on day 42 and I thought in day 41 it's your third try madam freezer camp for you. She pooped in her box too so I took it out and threw it in in a hurry when I saw her pulling hair. She breeds easy now and is a stellar mom. So good luck!
Thank you. I'm going to try putting the nest box back in again this afternoon. I just wish I knew if she was truly pregnant or not so I could safely treat her with ivermectin safely. It needs to be over for her. Not fair to continue to have sore ears. I notice today the very deep inside of the other ear now is red so I'm guessing we're now in both ears and getting worse. I'm ready to chance it on the ivermectin due to that ear being so bad. She's such an angry doe I think continuing to treat her daily is a fight that isn't worth it for her and probably me. Unfortunately I only have topical cattle, sheep ivermectin and plus injectable. So I need to pick some up since I can't find anything saying I can safely use one of what I have.
Good to know there's hope she becomes a decent doe. Thanks again :)

Thank you. I'm going to try putting the nest box back in again this afternoon. I just wish I knew if she was truly pregnant or not so I could safely treat her with ivermectin safely. It needs to be over for her. Not fair to continue to have sore ears. I notice today the very deep inside of the other ear now is red so I'm guessing we're now in both ears and getting worse. I'm ready to chance it on the ivermectin due to that ear being so bad. She's such an angry doe I think continuing to treat her daily is a fight that isn't worth it for her and probably me. Unfortunately I only have topical cattle, sheep ivermectin and plus injectable. So I need to pick some up since I can't find anything saying I can safely use one of what I have.
Good to know there's hope she becomes a decent doe. Thanks again :)
The following paper indicates that the ivermectin cattle pour-on is effective, although it used a subQ injection route, which may or may not be possible for you:
Use of ivermectin for treatment of ear mite infestation in rabbits
S K Curtis , R Housley, D L Brooks
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2329086/
Abstract
Ivermectin was used to treat ear mite infestation in 480 rabbits in 2 commercial rabbitries. Ivermectin (cattle formulation) injected sc at a dosage of 400 to 440 micrograms/kg of body weight repeated in 18 days appeared to be safe and effective in reducing the prevalence of ear mites in naturally infested rabbits.

As far as the Plus Injectable, there is at least one study that investigated the effects of clorsulon (the "plus") in rabbits, which suggests it's safe within reasonable limits:
COMMITTEE FOR VETERINARY MEDICINAL PRODUCTS - CLORSULON SUMMARY REPORT (2)
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/docume...ommittee-veterinary-medicinal-products_en.pdf
11. Two teratogenicity studies in mice and rabbits at doses of 0, 2, 10 and 50 mg/kg bw/day, orally
did not reveal any teratogenic potential of clorsulon up to 50 mg/kg bw/day, the highest dose
tested.
In mice, no signs of maternotoxicity were reported up to 50 mg/kg bw, orally. However, the high
dose of 50 mg/kg bw induced a significant decrease in the weight of foetuses. The NOEL for
foetotoxicity was 10 mg/kg bw/day.
In rabbits signs of materno- and foetotoxicity (decrease in weights) appeared at 10 mg/kg bw/day
and at 50 mg/kg bw/day, orally respectively. The NOELs for maternotoxicity and foetotoxicity
were 2 and 10 mg/kg bw/day, respectively.

You can also use 1% cattle injectable for rabbits, though it doesn't sound like you have that on hand. Here's a site giving the dosage for oral administration at 0.1cc /lb:
https://luvlops.com/care/needs/ This site encourages prophylactic use of drugs, which I do not. But at least it gives a safe dosage.

I agree that waiting to see how she behaves after she has a litter is a good idea, if she is in fact pregnant. Not only might her temperament improve - like @jani, I also have seen 180-degree turns in does after a kindling - but your doe came to you under pretty serious duress if she was both mite-ridden and pregnant. Getting her ears taken care of and letting her settle into motherhood might go a long way to improving her patience and tolerance. Also, a tendency to ear mites is a negative in breeding stock, but given the circumstances I might withhold judgment on that, as well.

Last edited:
The following paper indicates that the ivermectin cattle pour-on is effective, although it used a subQ injection route, which may or may not be possible for you:
Abstract
Ivermectin was used to treat ear mite infestation in 480 rabbits in 2 commercial rabbitries. Ivermectin (cattle formulation) injected sc at a dosage of 400 to 440 micrograms/kg of body weight repeated in 18 days appeared to be safe and effective in reducing the prevalence of ear mites in naturally infested rabbits.

As far as the Plus Injectable, there is at least one study that investigated the effects of clorsulon (the "plus") in rabbits, which suggests it's safe within reasonable limits:
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/docume...ommittee-veterinary-medicinal-products_en.pdf
11. Two teratogenicity studies in mice and rabbits at doses of 0, 2, 10 and 50 mg/kg bw/day, orally
did not reveal any teratogenic potential of clorsulon up to 50 mg/kg bw/day, the highest dose
tested.
In mice, no signs of maternotoxicity were reported up to 50 mg/kg bw, orally. However, the high
dose of 50 mg/kg bw induced a significant decrease in the weight of foetuses. The NOEL for
In rabbits signs of materno- and foetotoxicity (decrease in weights) appeared at 10 mg/kg bw/day
and at 50 mg/kg bw/day, orally respectively. The NOELs for maternotoxicity and foetotoxicity

You can also use 1% cattle injectable for rabbits, though it doesn't sound like you have that on hand. Here's a site giving the dosage for oral administration at 0.1cc /lb:
https://luvlops.com/care/needs/ This site encourages prophylactic use of drugs, which I do not. But at least it gives a safe dosage.

I agree that waiting to see how she behaves after she has a litter is a good idea, if she is in fact pregnant. Not only might her temperament improve - like @jani, I also have seen 180-degree turns in does after a kindling - but your doe came to you under pretty serious duress if she was both mite-ridden and pregnant. Getting her ears taken care of and letting her settle into motherhood might go a long way to improving her patience and tolerance. Also, a tendency to ear mites is a negative in breeding stock, but given the circumstances I might withhold judgment on that, as well.
You always have the best information and I appreciate you! 🥰

Ya just never know with a rabbit do ya! God love 'em.

Abstract

tested.

Thank you. I hadn't come across that information or link yet in my searches. I really appreciate it. Very helpful. I decided to wait until the end of the week when she in theory should have kindled if she was truly pregnant before treating with ivermectin. Will address the situation at that point. I really don't want to risk her possible babies health but it's so hard because I don't believe in not taking care of health issues asap. I have plenty of cattle options so I'll use that for now when the time comes.
I have been reading on this forum about culling for continual ear mite issues and that is another strike against her but you've made me think about the fact that she came with them so it might just be a lack of proper treatment. Her temperament is another reason but I'll now hold off until I see how she does post her first litter.
Thanks everyone for the continued help!

Latest posts

Back