Ear, eye, and fur loss problems

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
First I must say I am getting very discouraged with rabbits right now :cry:

To recap I bought 2 mini rexes and 2 flemish giants off of that particular breeder (see hopping mad thead)The MR doe had to put down due to pasteurella about 3 weeks a go. Now my MR buck, who was kept outside (doe was inside) now has a bad ear infection in 1 ear! If you remember the doe had an ear infection in both ears when I got her, breeder said it was because kids poured water in her ear.

The 2 flemish giants (kept in the house) both are showing signs of eye problems. They are not weepy or anything, just sometimes the third eyelid is showing and a little red. I am hoping this is just a case of something is irritating the eye, maybe all the fur they are shedding? Also the FG buck has no fur at the base of his neck, could he have mites?

Any suggestions on what I can do to treat any of these problems? I am currently cleaning out the ear with an otic wash solution, and using q-tips to get the gunk out.

could be mites for the one.

as to the others...if the doe had pasturella...and the flemish are showing eye problems I'd consider the two linked and cull them.

or you could treat them first for mites.

Ivermectin will do the trick for that, but then you can't use them for food for about 2 months afterwards.

How much ivermectin should I use, and it gets injected right? I know he is over 5 pounds possibly 6 by now, will have to weigh him to find out.

I really hate to cull the FG's just because of their eyes. Their eyes look fine today, maybe it was just because I used pine pellets this week instead of the regular shavings. Or they were outside for quite awhile, maybe they got something in it. For now they are away from all other rabbits, and I think I will leave it that way for several months just to be sure, unless they start getting worse.

you can use the injectable or use the horse wormer stuff. the injectible rate AS FAR AS I RECALL is .08/cc/lb (note, haven't taken the time to double check that so you might want to do that).

Ok thanks. I will probably just use the injectable since that is what I use for the dogs heartworm preventative

Latest posts

Back