Dwarf Vs. Standard or Giant

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
I haven't been in rabbits long and this could be, for all intents and purposes, be pure bad luck, but in the past three-four months, I've lost two rabbits. Both died suddenly, only showing symptoms for a few hours. They would not ingest anything and there was nothing I could really do. Both died before I could get them to the vet. First rabbit seemed to have an intestinal issue--heaps of horrible-smelling, greenish diarrhea--and the second one showed no symptoms other than a limpness.

They were of different lines, different ages (both adults, but Basil older), different sexes, etc. Even different colors, gosh darn. I changed the food. I stopped giving as much fresh fruits or vegetables. I gave them pellets made for rabbits, hay, pine cones to chew, and little less. Maybe a dandelion leaf if I could find one this time of winter or some winter peas. Basil was placed with two different does before he passed, neither of which got sick; Chipmunk, the second rabbit (my best doe), was living in a hutch with her mom who didn't get sick. I cannot figure out why these two rabbits, given the same care as their brethren, got sick.

On the other hand, I've had two standard rabbits, rescues, who were in pretty bad condition at first. One was covered in scars, had sores on her ears and feet, had just had a litter of one stillborn kit, she was old, didn't want to move, etc. I gave her some TLC and medication and she was fine. But she was an American Sable, and she had to be put down eventually because of old age. I got a Lion Lop, too, who had been fed on a steady diet of vegetables, been kept in pine bedding, hadn't ever been brushed, and had a broken foot. She's still doing fine. She's even had stomach issues because, unlike the other rabbits, she doesn't handle anything but her special papaya treats (to keep wool block away) very well. Still. She's had diarrhea and gotten better.

I'm seriously wondering if dwarves are just too fragile. Maybe for how I have to keep them (outside), maybe for living in the weird sub-tropical climate of Alabama where it's always wet and either blistering hot or freezing, maybe for the food I can afford (Purina), maybe for the germs carried by the other farm animals, etc. I honestly don't know.

Question of the day: Has anyone noticed that dwarf or small rabbits have a higher mortality rate when it comes to illness? Beyond the Max Factor and peanuts, I thought dwarfs just needed to be warmed up well in the winter (which I do, with hay nests and wind breaks). But do they just generally have a fatal reaction to what other standard or giant rabbits just shrug off? If so, I need to phase out of dwarves. This has hit me hard, mainly because my best buck and best doe were the ones killed. OF COURSE. I can't have an animal that just suddenly drops dead from the same treatment it was given a week before. :shock:

I mean, I rescued feral cats for the longest time. I lost kittens, but never adult animals like this. It's bizarre to me. It reminds me of FIP in cats. Nothing you can do, just some animals drop like flies based on genetics and immune systems. Mind you, they were of two different lines, BUT my third line has been completely unaffected by sudden death. So. I don't even know.

All my rabbits are getting a run of Corid and won't be getting anything but pellets and fresh water for awhile, just to make sure it's not something environmental--the wrong pine cone, the wrong hay, etc. But beyond that, I could use some suggestions.

It's hard to say why they died. I would be guessing to say gut stasis.

I don't find dwarves to be any more fragile than other breeds.

If you don't know the health history of your rabbits by you can't know what they are susceptible to.

I dont find dwarfs more delicate. My Netherland were tough little buggers who did fine living outside in Ontario Canada (80F summers with 90% humidity and -10F winters) and I even had a doe live to 14.

What I have found from rescuing and re-homing small breeds for the last 10 years is that a lot of pet store purchased rabbits are more fragile and I think it is from early or improper weaning and an diet heavy on treats and not much hay once in their new homes. I believe their intestines are permanently damaged and never right again.

My Mini lops, while not dwarfs, are in the 3 to 4 pound range and seem just a hardy as my 8 to 12 pound American Chinchillas

I would say no. I lost 60+ kits this summer from the Rex, 2 adult Rex, 2 adult Sf and 1 adult Angoras, 2 litters of Sf and Angora kits, but only 2 Jersey Woolies, and one was pregnant. The Jersey woolies have continued to thrive and breed, with no instances of enteritis.

That makes sense, I suppose. I didn't really think this question through. Then again, I don't feel like I'll know much of anything unless I ask stupid questions.

As is, I think I've decided to just keep with the Lori Farms line of rabbits. They are the hardiest buggers. One doe broke a toe and got some rough spots on her feet (because she broke her toe and wouldn't move out of her own poo), but she's fine now. Baby bunnies had upset tummies from deciding devouring paper towels was a good idea (groan), cured up with oats. The two unnamed other lines just seemed weak? I don't know. The four rabbits I got for $25 from up in TN were always skittish and I lose one to what appears to be a neurological issue (no anatomical issues). Basil was a Houdini rabbit and got sick from escaping a hanging cage, eating God knows what, and likely playing with the local wild rabbits or getting into the poo from a local dogs--something Fiona did as well, but didn't get sick. The Lori Farms stock has yet to have a medical issue. Of my kept rabbits, 3/5 are Lori Farms, the other a rescue (Fiona) and one a three-year-old doe from the TN stock.

Other Line 1 had 100% mortality and Other Line 2 had 25% mortality. Lori Farms Line has had 0% mortality. I suppose I should stick with Lori Farms, eh? I mean, she has gorgeous rabbits, look like Redelman's and they have great fur. I know have a BEW buck (Albus) and two castor Vienna does (Primrose and Minerva) from her. All have the same fabulous father.

Not a stupid question at all. I too thought dwarfs were going to be less hardy than my other buns. I generally leave them with their moms longer, pair them two in a cage, and generally treat them as fragile. After this summer, I learned differently.

Actually my netherland dwarf followed by my mini rex are the hardiest rabbits I have. When it was so hot and damp out that cocci was running wild wiping out all my meat breed juniors from mutts to purebreds the ND were perfectly fine. Not a one died. They were the only rabbits I had offspring to sell and butcher from. I wasn't breeding much mini rex at that time. They survive the cold with no help. I don't provide anything extra for them and we see -30 to -40F for at least a couple days but sometimes entire weeks. The only problem I had was that litters wouldn't survive in the winter because they were too small and too few to produce enough body heat. I have only ever lost 1 ND and she was a petstore buy that then caught pastuerella from some guinea pigs. I can't really remember losing any mini rex over 2 weeks old. MR aren't actually a dwarf breed though. They are a compact breed.

Back