dutch and cali mix linebreeding thoughts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
I don't think I'll be pursuing it but, just for the sake of conversation and burning brain cells.... I have a cali doe, dutch buck, and a litter from them. the goal is a meaty rabbit from the stock at hand. {i'm buyin some good stock but just curious about this line of thinkin} would you breed the dutch buck back to his mixed daughters? the mixed son back to his cali mom? If I did this I think I would want to try both just to see the outcome lol.
which do you think would come out better? do you think they would come out fairly even except the litters from bred back to dutch dad would be smaller like the dutch but meatier?... or would that take more generations to accomplish?

I would try breeding the californian back to one of her sons, but not the buck to one of his daughters.

on the 20th my dutch/cali litter will be 6wks old. they aren't all that big :/ i'm hoping for a growth spurt but not thinking they are going to be all that big. *sigh* still watching for who is biggest and marked them. but not thinking i'll be keeping any to further this. limited space as it is.

Don't know if you're weighing the rabbits or not, but if you're just eyeballing it, you may want to weigh them. We just sold a litter of 8wk old Dutch culls that averaged 3lbs. Our meat mutts that were a month older and looked huge were averaging 4.5 lbs (live) when we processed.

I don't have a scale so I've been going by feel and look. workin on getting a scale though. just too many other things that need money ahead of a scale.

There are decent fish hanging scales for about $6 on ebay, I love them :D I get a little basket from the dollar store for kits, and a milk crate (with uber fancy twine to hang it from) for the adults.

WallTenter":5ptuwhrn said:
There are decent fish hanging scales for about $6 on ebay, I love them :D I get a little basket from the dollar store for kits, and a milk crate (with uber fancy twine to hang it from) for the adults.

I have a wire rabbit transport cage where the bottom tray is removable (resulting in a wire basket) and use that for holding the rabbit for weighing. Just remember to note the weight of the basket.

WallTenter":1zccl0gn said:

link? I've been apprehensive to buy one from ebay to only have it not work or work for like a week and then kick the bucket... or worse work and have way off weights... which is the crappy thing I have now that I don't even use because it never reads the same twice...

Latest posts

Back