Dumb question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.
Unless there is something hidden in the past and the seller lied or hid that info from you.

or if something odd pops up after many generations. Takes three generations to make a pedigree. BUT things can pop up years later..

case in point... breed new zealands and have angora wool pop up.

Breed holland lops and have straight ears pop up. (many won't believe it is still a holland lop but it is).

No one lied or isn't telling me anything. Just
Was a stupid question. Just was making sure as
I read on here all the time people posting about
Genitics so I asked the stupid question. :)

It's not really a stupid question at all, especially regarding rabbits. Rabbits are judged on phenotype versus genotype. Phenotype is the animal's appearance, while genotype is it's genetic makeup.

For instance, I have a "Leonis Rex" doe, who is a cross between a Rex and a 1/2 Lionhead 1/2 Rex. She has Rex fur, no mane, and the conformation of a purebred Rex. I could enter her in a show as a Rex if I wanted to. She has the phenotype of a Rex, but the genotype of a crossbreed.

If I bred her and her young to Rex for the next three generations, she would be "off the pedigree" and on paper it would look like the kits were pure Rex.

Interesting. I just figured two breeds the same
Would give the same breed kits. Don't know
Anything about genetics but was just figuring
I guess.

It's not really a stupid question at all, especially regarding rabbits. Rabbits are judged on phenotype versus genotype. Phenotype is the animal's appearance, while genotype is it's genetic makeup.
:yeahthat: Many meat breeds really only differ by colour. For example the American chinchilla, Palamino, Cinnamon and American Sable all have commercial body types and similar weights but are only showable in one (or two) colours. If there are hidden recessive genes they could make a colour crop up that is not showable and if you tried advertising a black rabbit as a purebred American Chinchilla people would think you were nuts or trying o bamboozle them :D but it does happen in rabbits - often - and to reputable breeders.

Back