Drying up a Moms milk

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhodgejr

Reaction score
I had a rabbit who had her first litter the other day. She only had one, and it passed. I read that putting her on a hay only diet will encourage her milk to dry up so she doesn't get an infection.

Is this needed, and if so, how long should I keep her on her hay only diet?

Thanks!

-Mike

I also need this info? The lil 1 that i was keeping alive dies yesterday. It was 6 days old.

Both mint and sage will help dry up their milk. I had a doe with the beginning stages of mastitis and treated her with mint and catnip (which is in the mint family) to slow her milk production. My rabbits wont normally eat catnip, but she gobbled it up.

I have not heard of feeding hay only to dry them up, but it makes sense to put them on a low protein diet especially if herbs are not offered. I think grass hay like Bermuda would be the best option if you decide to do that, since alfalfa is fairly high in protein.

Right now she is on a grass hay diet. If I was to go the mint/sage route, how much should I give her and for how long?

Do you feed her any greens at all?

__________ Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 am __________

If you do feed greens, I would give her as much as she wants to eat. If not, maybe a 4" section of stem with leaves twice daily for several days or until she no longer shows much interest and/or doesn't have any milk.

You should not feed mint or sage to a pregnant doe, so discontinue it when you breed her.

mystang89":vnnq7kmw said:
How would one use ground mint and sage that come in the cans to dry up the milk?

You could take a slice of banana and roll it around in the herbs to coat it.

Back