dry flaky skin on 3 day old?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommaofmany

Reaction score
behind his ears and on his hip/back area.

IMG_20140106_211841_939.jpg

__________ Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:30 pm __________

Is this just dry stuff mom failed to clean off, dry skin, something I should be worried about.....etc

IMG_20140106_211823_986.jpg

Wipe it down with a moist paper towel, if it comes back then I'd worry. If it doesn't come back, it was schmutz that didn't get cleaned off.

If the adults have a good coat it's probably just dry winter air causing it or it's possibly a diet issue with the mother making her produce milk too low in fats. It will come back every time you wash it off and water can actually cause dry skin in animals. Not to mention chills. If you can't find any symptoms on the adults that would point towards a parasite I would get some vegetable based oil capsules like flax and just poke a hole in it and drip it on the dry areas. Vit E capsules sort of work too. They are just stickier and don't spread as well.

They are in my breezeway, I don't think that it doesn't ever get cooler then 60 in there. It looks like it might be on top of the fur, I will wait until tomorrow and check again. Thanks!

I've seen flakiness on my kits as the fur comes in, and it has always disappeared on its own.

My other thought is that because he is basically a singleton, ( the other ones' eyes are definitely bulging now and it is not getting any bigger so I am pretty certain that it is a peanut, just not a very deformed one) That he is just growing really quickly and it could just be his skin shedding to keep up with growth. Oh and definitely a boy, based on that thread on the boards.

Could be. He sure is a fat little fellow!

Plus, since there are only two, he doesn't have the friction of rubbing up against a bunch of other kits to help the skin fall off.

Happens all the time to my kits, especially with the hollands and now the JW.

It happens to human babies too.

Back