drama at the show this weekend

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with most of this but many beginners expect me too sell them a good show rabbit for $30 sometimes i do that for 4H kids.I sometimes charge extra for pedigrees like $5 if its a pet quality animal.some beginners think any rabbit with a pedigree is a show quality animal.I point out any disqualifications i know about.im human sometimes i miss something.

people often have unreasonable expectations...it's just a matter of figuring out what YOU consider reasonable and working with that.

Me... I can't conceive selling a rabbit for more than $60. It's like...but when it comes right down to it...it's a meal! who pays more than $60 for a meal???

Do people lie, cheat, steal in the rabbit world? For sure. Just keep your eyes open, try to be educated and don't give up on your rabbit just because it doesn't turn out exactly the way you hoped. You might be surprised what you get down the line. Poor rabbits can throw "WOW" babies, and nice rabbits can throw.. "HUH?" babies. and then those "HUH?" babies can throw... "WOW" babies. do the best you can .... that's all that you can do.

For people that you don't trust or don't like...DO NOT do business with them.. just move on to someone else. There are ALWAYS rabbits that can be found somewhere.

After reading this thread I am soooooo glad that my ELop breeder is someone I can trust to be honest and depend on to see me through any concerns I have. She is Wonderful. I am a novice but I did my research and it paid off. I am sorry to hear that some people have had difficulties, but thats life. Not everyone operates on the same high ethical standard. Sad, but true. Regardless, its certainly no reason to get fresh with each other... we are friends here. :)

curlysue":1k8sx01m said:
I agree with most of this but many beginners expect me too sell them a good show rabbit for $30 sometimes i do that for 4H kids.I sometimes charge extra for pedigrees like $5 if its a pet quality animal.some beginners think any rabbit with a pedigree is a show quality animal.I point out any disqualifications i know about.im human sometimes i miss something.

A good quality (show) animal should be sold for a reasonable/going price. The better the quality the higher the price should be. I mayself have sold show quality animals to beginners for much less than the going price. It was a mistake. An unknowledgable breeder will value a $100 cull over a top quality show animal they bought for $20. It is just human nature. One needs to apreciate the value of the animal he purchases (if it is a quality rabbit). There are a great many good breeders out there, there are others that are kind only if they think one is no competiton, there are others whom are selling dreams to naive people.

It is hard for a beginner. If they want to show rabbits, they should buy average inexpensive animals of the breed they wish to show. One needs to spend a year simply leaning to raise rabbits; meat, pet, show, it makes no difference. During this time they should enter their animals in shows. True, they are unlikely to do well, but they can see what a judge is looking for, meet other breeders, and get a better understanding of how to groom. Then, is when they are better able to go out and find the the best show animal for their money with some understanding and judgment. Is one sometimes able to luck into some great animals without understanding? Sure. I have had it happen to me, but one can't count on it.

avdpas77, that is excellent advice! It is really hard to start out with any animal, and from showing horses, the entry-level run of the mill horse is expensive enough. But with rabbits, you really can start out and learn the ropes cheaply. Then spend the bigger bucks when you know what you are doing. I wish most people got that advice at the very start! Of course, it does require patience, and I am not known for that myself, so it is hard for me to urge it on others.

Excuse me but apparently is was MY post that wasn't read (or red) correctly. Next time you highlight something in red of mine make sure you get the ENTIRE sentence to keep the quote in context!!
BTW I would expect the backyard breeder to have as much integrity as a top breeder, i don't see why its ok to "knowingly" sell a sterile animal at any price by anyone.

Well most of my rabbits I buy go in youth and most do very well. The english Angora has 2 legs allredy. I was more up set that a breeder can just lie on the papers that I was given. Why make a false pedigree for a rabbit? That to me is just not right. I did not want my name on a questionable pedigree that is why I am starting over. I know who to deal with and who not to deal with I can not wait for my nice trio I am getting. I know the first litter I have is going no where for at least 6mo till I can show them. I am going to keep back only the best stock and grow from there.

Jasharia":3hyn1a48 said:
HendricksHearth I noticed that you live in GA. If you want any of Courtney's buns or my friend she has tons of babbies right now we can set up a drive by for you. We are still trying to find more people to come in and help off set the cost of gass and the rental. Her kits will be 10 weeks when she makes the trip. Or if you know anyone who might want to get in this just have them e-mail me. Here is my friends web site to look at what she has for sale. http://www.mountaintoprabbitry.com/for-sale.php

Oops- I missed this somehow. I will be glad to help spread the word- did ya'll already post on the yahoo groups like Rabbit Relay and Rabbit Classifieds? Also how much is the transport fee per head?

Thanks!

Lauren

Devon's Mom Lauren":30ahdfag said:
Excuse me but apparently is was MY post that wasn't read (or red) correctly. Next time you highlight something in red of mine make sure you get the ENTIRE sentence to keep the quote in context!!
BTW I would expect the backyard breeder to have as much integrity as a top breeder, i don't see why its ok to "knowingly" sell a sterile animal at any price by anyone.

Hi Lauren,
Could we agree to disagree? It is obvious that this is a touchy subject for both of us. Perhaps it would be better if we let it lie as to not further disrupt the forum.

If someone gets one for her kits she is only chargeing $35 for the first and $20 there after. If someone wants her to bring back a bun from Eeyores the we are spliting the car rental and gas.

Latest posts

Back