DQs...and how early can you see them?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
The American kits are almost 4 weeks old now. I just did a first go around of sexing on them, and checked eye color for any oddities. I know the fur will come in a couple of times and change color likely between now and adulthood. But there are some things that are DQs, and I'm wondering how soon I can be looking for them? Like tooth problems, or mismatched nails? (and can you actually tell the color of the nails in kits? or is it more a junior/adult thing?)

I've received a few inquiries about purchasing kits now, and I'd like to not sell a rabbit that has a DQ to someone who wants to show but is like me..and hasn't a clue :D

Mismatched toenails should be visible by 8 or 9 weeks.

Usually a stark white toenails on one of the front feet, one of the middle two nails.

Do you know the 4H showmanship routine? That's a great way to go over a rabbit in about a minute.
The teeth can be evaluated at 8 weeks as well.

Check out some of these videos on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... nship&aq=f

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

I do the same thing as you Ann- I keep my hands on kits all while they are growing and some DQ's show up more easily earlier on and some don't really "pop" until later like with nails like Franco said. Some things you can check for earlier and should be able to detect would be like a dead tail or sometimes something missing (tail tip, toe, etc.) like if Mom over-cleaned or stepped on one. You can also look for problems in the bone like pigeon breast, spinal irregularities, dental issues, etc.

Best of luck!

Lauren

Speaking of dental....what on EARTH do you do with a buck who insists on pulling at the wire on the cage with his teeth? He has toys galore, and lovely chunks of wood to chew on; even a selection of willow, apple, and maple branches to gnaw; but he still goes nuts on the wire..just pulls at one section and then the next like some demented prisoner searching for a way out. :x

Anntann":273p4r4g said:
I've received a few inquiries about purchasing kits now, and I'd like to not sell a rabbit that has a DQ to someone who wants to show but is like me..and hasn't a clue :D

I would say that if they have only one ear... or maybe two tails... you might want to keep them off the market? :lol: Sorry Ann, couldn't help being a smart a**, I am way to far away from my rabbit showing days to give any advice. I could help you out with a few pigeons breeds, though. :D

Pigeons...ah...mmmMMMm. squab. <ann starts salivating> er, um..no..you show them don't you? ahem. sorry I mentioned it, yes.....

I've been thinking about expanding the poultry section of the farm. We're definitely going to get back into turkeys (but only a few this time) and I've looked at raising pheasant or quail. Mike talked about pigeon though. I know there's a LARGE group of er...pigeon enthusiasts near here somewhere. Pigeon shows every couple of weeks.

If you WERE to suggest a breed or two for a newbie, what would you suggest? (As long as I'm going to show rabbits, I might as well do pigeons, too)

Dq's are easy to spot right off the bat, your basic missing toes, foreign colour (like a blue spot on a black, or a white spot on a solid coloured animal that isn't white to begin with). Toenails once you can see colour in them you can tell.

Teeth on the other hand can be hard, usually by 10 weeks (the age most start showing rabbits) it's pretty evident whether they have good teeth or not. Although a rabbit that is kept too long with it's mother and is still nursing, you will often find will have butting teeth, they grow out of it within a week or two of being weaned. Then if you have a breed with a blocky head like Netherlands, because their head does change a lot a rabbit with bad teeth as a jr can have perfect teeth as a sr and vice versa.

Faults on the other hand are harder and they're what make a break a show rabbit. If you're selling a young Jr, it is really hard especially if you go over them when their in there uglies. Before the uglies is the best age to gauge your Juniors as potential keepers and what not, you'll find that faults hardly fill out they just get bigger with the rabbit. Then after the uglies you'll know for sure what is what. Just never ever ever get rid of a rabbit that was nice before the uglies but gets so ugly you can't bear to look at it (they tend to be the winners :lol: )

In most policies you'll see "Show quality rabbits are free from disqualifications at the time of purchase" mainly because things do change and it's nothing the breeder can really do about it, so you shouldn't feel bad if 6 months after you sell a rabbit it suddenly has bad teeth, you could not have known that would happen.

You should always encourage your buyers to go over the rabbits themselves before deciding whether they want it or not. As a lot of people have a different translation of "Show Quality"

Well Ann, one will hardly eer come out ahead raising pigeons. Wisconsin use to be a big pigeon area, I used to know a lot of guys from around the Oconomowac area. Giant homers are the breed I used to raise, but they take a lot of room. There are prpably close to 50 breeds though some are rare anymore. If you are really intersted, go to a large show, so you can see what is available in your area. There is everything from ones that look like silkes, to ones that look like cochins, and in every color imagineable. Some are as smaller than a robin, and some weigh 3 lbs or more. :)

The main DQ I'm having to watch for in one of my lines doesn't show up until their first molt, about 4ish months depending on the season. :/ Have to watch for white hairs. Luckily, that's just one line. I'd much rather make my picks at 6 weeks.

PulpFaction":26vn0j4o said:
The main DQ I'm having to watch for in one of my lines doesn't show up until their first molt, about 4ish months depending on the season. :/ Have to watch for white hairs. Luckily, that's just one line. I'd much rather make my picks at 6 weeks.

White hairs are not a DQ as long as they're not excessive or form a spot. They're just a fault.

Right, one of the kits did develop a small white spot.

Regardless, I find white hairs to be a serious enough fault that I will treat it the same as a DQ in my lines until I'm further away from the individual that introduced the issue!

Depends on the breed, I have seen a judge DQ for excessive, others dock the rabbit points, but on Thriantas, it is a major flaw, as far as I know, it's a DQ.

Latest posts

Back