Door Mounted Nestbox- Opinions Please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margali

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still counting down the months till we move (June) and researching. I am planning on havana (prefered) or dutch rabbits. I came across several websites that had door hanging nest boxes. Here is one site: http://www.downtherabbithole.ca/nestboxes.html

I think these might be a good idea for me because it increases the doe's cage size only when she needs it (24"x36" + box). Also looks like it would be easier to check on the kits and prevent them from being dragged out of the box.

Has anyone used these types of nest boxes? What was your experience?

Thanks, Margali

I've been wanting to try these really badly. I think I will go for it. I have four does bred, so it should be a good sampling! I will have to anchor my stackers, though. Don't want the tower toppling!

Yes, it is Moonkitten's site. Thanks for opinion on the poster's knowledge. I think I will make 2 of the door boxes and have 1 of the normal kind as backup. That way I'm covered if one of the does hates it.

I didn't comment here because obviously I think the door nestboxes work :lol:

Some points that I will remind you of before you start...

1. Doors are normally only about 10-12" wide and nestboxes generally need to be a bit longer (unless you have a very small breed). Due to this, the nestbox will also cover part of the cage front, so make sure you plan where the feeder and water tube/crock/bottle will go. Cages with door feeders don't work well in this situation ;)

2. ANCHOR YOUR CAGES!!! I know PulpFaction mentioned this, but I can't overemphasize the need to prevent bent cages, scattered litters and confused, upset does if you forget to anchor the cage and her weight pulls it off the rack onto the floor. :oops:

Back