Domestic Rabbit Survival Rate?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-HRanchito

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are some reputable websites that discuss on what percentage of kits survive to adulthood, or fryer age, or whatever. I'm sure it's different for different breeds. I really want my future buyers to be able to pre-select their kits, while still understanding that there is a much higher mortality rate for young rabbits than young cats or dogs...

Just don't sell any kits under 5 weeks old - 7 is even better. All too many pet shops sell kits so young they still need mamas milk and the buyers wonder why they died.

Well, with dogs, you reserve beforehand and pick them up when they hit 8 wks...and pet people like that. But if I get a fader, or some enteritis, or nestbox eye, I want to be able to take them off my sale page gracefully. I guess i'm just brainstorming for that

Good question.

I think most people do like to pick bunnies out, but things happen. Probably deleting, or just marking as sold would work. Maybe listing all bunnies at 6 weeks or so. I have debated this too. Selling bunnies to good homes is a major concern of mine when it comes to breeding rabbits.

I just mark them as unavailable, but nothing goes on the site till 8 weeks, and although I put how many the doe had, I tell people I have have my pick first. I never advertize more than half the litter. That's easy for meat breeds, I just butcher those. And the hollands only have 4 or 5, to I sell two or three and keep two.

Back