doing the dirty, nuffing,, exterminating, extinguishing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper

Reaction score
hi I was wondering if any of you guys use a stun gun during the butchering imm also looking into a cheap pellet gun as it just seems like its going to make the process easer for me.

im not what you would call squeamish considering I've killed and butchered chickens before but I do tend to get a bit gimpy when the time comes to end the creatures life before me.

just looking for people who have experience using a mechanical assist in the killing process.

thanks
j

We use a pellet gun. The stun gun has been talked about on here, but I can't remember if anyone actually has one.

With the pellet gun, we aim just below the base of the skull, behind and below the ears, toward the mouth. A good shot kills the rabbit pretty much instantly, though the muscles will then seize up (because they are no longer communicating with the brain) and the hind legs will start kicking.

None of us here enjoys ending the life of an animal, so you are in plenty of good company. We do like providing good, humanely-raised meat for our families, so we do it. :)

We use a pellet gun, as well as 22 mag. The 22 mag is more "guaranteed" but more expensive and not an option in some areas.

I am personally leaning toward cervical dislocation when the time comes for our first meat litters.

We have one member that has a stun gun:

post177282.html

We have used a pellet gun in the past, but I didn't like how much kicking there was with that method. Now I place my rabbits on a block of wood and strike the forehead with a piece of box steel. If you strike them hard enough, death is instant. It is not as fail safe as the stun gun, I am sure, but very effective once you get past your reluctance to deliver a killing blow to an animal.

Killing rabbits is not at the top of my list of fun activities, but I do find great satisfaction in knowing that my rabbits had a very good life up until the moment they died. If you can get someone to butcher with you it makes it much easier to motivate yourself to "do the deed".

I want to get a stun gun, but can't afford one....and after my brothers horrid accident one I also want to get a box to safely HOLD rabbit so I don't have to. (it went through his thumb when a pig jerked)

In the meantime rebar works well for me to do broomsticking.

I prefer the cervical dislocation method. It's cleaner, as I've seen vids of bolt guns and they like to bleed everywhere. I live where I'm technically not supposed to have rabbits, let alone meat rabbits, so I like things quick and clean. (I own my house, but our city is stingy about people trying to better their living condition by raising their own meat and eggs, apparently.) Anywho, I use a broomstick right now, but I'm going to steal the hubby's welder this weekend and build a wall mount cervical dislocator. Looks much easier on my back, let alone the fact that you don't have those few seconds where you're choking the poor rabbit trying to get your balance on the broomstick so you don't go toppling backwards when you pull up.

MamaSheepdog":126r85k8 said:
Now I place my rabbits on a block of wood and strike the forehead with a piece of box steel. If you strike them hard enough, death is instant.
The pellet gun does have a lot of kicking, but I am not as accurate trying to hit something with a tool. :( If it's just my hand, that's one thing. But put a hammer or a hatchet or something like that in my hand, and I'm not accurate enough.

I've used the Rabbit Wringer. That's the surest, quickest method FOR ME. My goal is ideally for the rabbit to never know what happened.

WildWolf":2b7hgyd7 said:
How do you build your own cervical dislocater, PSFAngora?

I am told that if you can weld, you can make your own knockoff Wringer. :) Someone else made mine but I love it. MUCH less difficult for the fryers...easier for my poor nerves. :p

I use a homemade rabbit wringer, its works great. Their is a sticky in meat rabbits show how to use one and some ideas on making one. Most of the are welded but someone had a post on building a wringer without welding.

Years and years ago, I used a blunt object (hammer). Then switched to a .22 revolver with sub-sonic rounds - used that for years. More recently have switched to the Rabbit Wringer. Yes, it's expensive but it's heavy-duty and you'll never have to buy another one. Works great, it's quick, it's "humane". If you harvest on any kind of regular basis, it's worth the investment.

I'll save my other methods for the racoons!

We use a .22 pellet gun. We really did a lot of consideration...I was worried about doing anything that required a lot of strength or accuracy ie the broomstick or cervical dislocation. So far, we've only dispatched one but it went extremely well. DH made the shot just below the ears aiming toward the nose and shot from about 1 to 2 inches away. She bled a bit from the nose but that was about all. I was expecting the kicking but it went on for quite a bit longer than I'd have thought...almost to the point where I was questioning whether or not she was dead. Logically, I knew she was but it was at least 3 or 4 minutes and she sort of scooted about 6 feet around the yard before finally being still. My main concern is that it be quick and not frighten them excessively. We set her on the grass with a chicken wire circle around her and she was just grazing happily; never saw it coming. We were quite pleased.

Back