Dog Marking questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
I have 2 full-blooded Australian Shepherd dogs: Griffin and Hazel. Griffin is about 1 1/2 y/o and Hazel is just at 6 mo. Griffin is male and Hazel is female, neither fixed. They get along great! I mean really, they both sleep in the same cage or whine if they aren't. They both want to eat out of the same bowl and if one isn't around the other they're depressed. So like I say, they get along great.

I have a dog run (chicken run really but its where I take the dogs to do their business) and Griffin has always gone to the very back in order to do what he needs. Hazel has always stepped right inside to do what she needs. Both of them would wait at the gate to let me know they were done, they'd then come out. Worked out great, up until Griffin for some reason decided he wanted to sit there and pee everywhere they Hazel pee'd or pooped...which happens to be right at the gate....where our feet are....he's male....you know...hiking the legs and everything. :x Yeeeeaaaahhhh. Was funny when he did it to the wife. Well, I laughed at least, she hasn't laughed yet. :lol: Every time he comes to the gate and gets ready to hike I'll kick the gate to shoo him away so he doesn't pee on me but why has he started doing this all of a sudden? I haven't a clue if Hazel is in heat or anything. He does sniff her parts very often but has never hiked her or even acted like it. I don't know if that means she's not in heat or if it has something to do with him breaking his leg when he was a pup. It never healed right and looks like he has a peg leg. Aaaaarrrrggggg. :walkplank: (Hey, how often do you get to use that smiley :) ) Anyway, I'm not sure if he's even capable of mounting her to be honest.

So what do you all think? Why is he marking everywhere she is now if they get along so well?

Griffin is reaching prime age of sexual maturity, which happens around two, his hormones are in full drive. Even if he never marked before, this would be the time he'd start.

Having an intact female compounds things. Usually, as my female approaches her season, even a month before, my males start marking even more than usual. It's my first cue. Then she starts marking :( Now The older dog is an experienced stud, he won't mess with a girl unless she's ready. But the young one, he just turned 2 Memorial Day, so all he knows is she smells different. He's spraying everything that's stationary. He even marked a rabbit cage inside the barn a few weeks ago.
He's tried to mount her a few times.

At 6 months old, Hazel is due to come into season. Griffin can probably sense this and is staking his claim on her, warning other males to keep away. Unneutered dogs can breed a bitch surprisingly early. I think the youngest I have used a male is 9 months old, so Griffin is ready, willing and able! Gimpy leg or no, I am sure he will be able to do the deed if he is determined enough, and those hormones sure make them determined.

Familiarize yourself with the signs of an impending heat cycle in a bitch and be prepared to separate them. It is not a good idea to breed a young gal on her first heat. If you want puppies, wait for the second or third. If you don't, get her fixed. It will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Thanks for the quick replies and confirming my thoughts! I really wasn't sure if an unproven male with a bum rear leg would be able to perform or not.

mystang89":1eswa67c said:
Thanks for the quick replies and confirming my thoughts! I really wasn't sure if an unproven male with a bum rear leg would be able to perform or not.

Where theres a will there's a way! :lol:
My male started to lift his leg at 8 weeks :roll: She is probably getting ready to come into heat at 6 months. Good luck :lol:

having a bum leg or not.. He will find a way to do it.. and your back will be turned to. Before you no it ,they will be locked together and there will be nothing you can do about it... get her fix or him. or both.. she is way to young for puppies..

__________ Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:44 pm __________

for him to lift his leg and peeing........male dogs do that all the time.. that is why I only have females

Sagebrush":2bjs3hvz said:
My male at almost 2 years old still squats to pee....

lol.

Is he the only? I have two intact males, so there is a pissing contest going on.

He wasn't the only one we had. He also had intact males next door that would hike their legs to pee on the chain link fence between the two houses. My Ex-mother in laws dogs.

Latest posts

Back