Dog breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I know MSD breeds (beautiful!) Australian Shepherds... anyone else breed dogs?

I have been cruising CL for several weeks now ISO our next dog - not sure yet what I am looking for (well, I have some ideas... nothing firm though), that's why I am just scrolling through to see what's out there. Lots and lots of Pit Bulls and Pitt mixes. And a boat load of other random mixes. Some have me totally perplexed as to how it even happened (a Chihuahua German Shepherd mix... really???).

Anyway, DH and I have contemplated dog breeding in the future... Obviously we have some research to do, but I am curious what goes into it. Obviously a male and female dog, then puppies. When we had our surprise litter of pups from a stray I never took them to the vet, just did the shots from Tractor Supply. I'm thinking for good, quality animals there is more to it than that. What do you do with the ones you plan on selling? What goes into the pups and the parents as far as vet visits vs. what you can do at home.

Also, breeds. There appears to be a HUGE lack of good, quality purebred animals. Personally I would love to have a Great Pyr around, but I also LOVE Golden Retrievers, although their health isn't the greatest starting at fairly young ages (the mix we have? her mom died several years ago from cancer). I joked with DH that I could fly out to CA, visit some family, and bring home a couple of MSD's pups ;)

I want a medium to large size breed... I'm just not a small dog person. I want one that can be useful around the house/"farm" (I feel weird saying farm since we are just getting started on our acre, but I can dream, right? :roll: ), good with children, and overall fairly healthy. I know a lot of that will depend on the specific animals used, and also how they are trained, but so much is ingrained in specific breeds (livestock guardian, hunters, retrievers, etc.).

Oh, and how much flack do you receive from people about "breeding when there are so many in shelters" b/c I am seeing a lot of that on CL as well.

And thoughts on my rambling?? :oops:

heritage":116krgk2 said:
I know MSD breeds (beautiful!) Australian Shepherds

Thank you! We love them- next litters will be ready to go starting at the end of May! :p

I joked with DH that I could fly out to CA, visit some family, and bring home a couple of MSD's pups ;)

That would work, lol! Actually, just out of curiosity I looked up airfare to ship a pup out to you- it is under $200, surprisingly. :D

When we had our surprise litter of pups from a stray I never took them to the vet, just did the shots from Tractor Supply. I'm thinking for good, quality animals there is more to it than that. What do you do with the ones you plan on selling?

With most breeds you want to remove the dewclaws at birth to prevent future problems. If untrimmed the dewclaw can actually curl into the flesh of the leg, and they tend to get caught on things even when trimmed. I use a pair of nail scissors and cut the claw off and dab the wound with styptic powder. When the pups are older you cannot even see a scar.

My dogs also get their tails docked, which I do with emasculating bands at around 9-12 days old. They are used for lamb's tails and castrating goats/lambs, and simply cuts off the blood supply to the tail and causes it to wither and fall off. It heals so that there is no bald spot on the end of the tail.

I give weekly nail trims to the pups so that they get accustomed to having their paws handled. Working in the animal industry, I saw far too many dogs that required sedation for this routine care, and don't want any of MY pups to suffer the same fate. None of our adult dogs ever need their nails trimmed, which may be due in large part to their lifestyle, but better safe than sorry.

Non breed specific; you will want to worm them- I personally use Fenbendazole given daily for seven days (overkill) because it is a very safe product which doesn't affect the dog's cells at all, only the parasites. Normal protocol is to give it for 3 days, or 5 if giardia is suspected. I also give Corid for 7 days because I suspect that random loose stools may be due to coccidia.

I follow a limited vaccine protocol, so don't vaccinate my pups before they leave. I recommend giving the distemper/parvo vaccine between 12 to 14 weeks and give rabies at 6 months. With the exception of rabies, which is required by law, I never revaccinate my dogs after the initial dose.

All of our pups are born in the house and spend the first several weeks inside. This is important because they get lots of daily attention that way and become accustomed to the sounds and smells of a house. Around 4 weeks I start them on solid food and they get booted to a dog run outdoors since the mothers will no longer "clean up" after them at that point.

We still bring the pups back into the house for inside play/snuggle time, but only a couple at a time depending on how many family members are available to commandeer a puppy.

In their outdoor kennel, I have found that very fine pine shavings work best as bedding. I use a cat litter scoop and sift the shavings every morning because their poop tends to get buried when they are playing. As soon as they finish breakfast, they poop again, which I pick up immediately. It seems that all day long I am picking up puppy poop- I like to get to it before it gets buried if possible- plus I feel it is counter productive to future housebreaking efforts to leave it in the pen any longer than necessary.

The pups are usually given their first baths at 6 or 7 weeks. I like to ensure that all of their first experiences are positive- I want our pups to be well rounded before going to their new homes. They are also bathed just before going to their new homes. This gives me even more time to spend with their new families and discuss training and care.

Aside from lots of socialization, the most important thing is to feed a high quality diet to the parents and pups. I feed Costco's Kirkland brand Nature's Domain, which is a grain free kibble. My goal is to give our pups the best start possible and ensure that they are robust and healthy.

If you get Great Pyrenese, the above advice about raising the pups inside would not apply- they should be raised outdoors with your livestock. You also would not remove their dewclaws- they are bred to have extra dewclaws, as a matter of fact.

Oh, and how much flack do you receive from people about "breeding when there are so many in shelters" b/c I am seeing a lot of that on CL as well.

I don't. I have actually had people come to me because it is difficult to get a dog from some rescues.

I believe that "rescue" is a very poor choice for first time dog owners especially, because all too often you are getting someone's problem dog. Even the pups in shelters fall into this category, because they were likely from an accidental breeding and were born in the backyard under a shed or something, and not given the daily attention (and diet!) needed to develop into sound and healthy dogs.

Oftentimes rescue dogs require far more money in training and health care than a pup from a responsible breeder. I think that many people who would otherwise be lifelong dog owners may find the experience of owning a rescue to be far more trouble and expense than they bargained for and might not want to get another dog as a result.

The first dog Hubs and I got together was a shelter dog. He was about eight months old when we got him, and I quickly figured out why he was picked up by the shelter- he was always running away. I can't tell you how many times I had to call in late to work because I was out hunting for him. Not only that, but he was not housebroken, had no inside manners whatsoever (counter surfed, chased the cats and VAULTED over the furniture!), dug holes constantly, and would get into the aluminum cans we had stored for recycling and shred the cans all over the yard!

It took me about two years of intensive training before he was actually a good dog. At about four he was diagnosed with a terrible case of hip dysplasia, which was expensive to treat with monthly adequin injections and oral medication.

My dog is from a breeder in Arizona. He is a working line German Shepherd. When I was searching for a breeder I came across countless breeders with dogs that were not titled in any way. Not even any basic obedience titles. Flashy lovely websites all gushing about how great their dogs were and how wonderfully raised they were. I went with a breeder whose dogs were all titled, had 30 years experience, had extensive bloodline knowledge and a plan.

One of my best friends is a breeder as well. She breeds, trains and shows, both Saint Bernard's and Staffordshire Terriers. She shows all of her breeding stock and puts every obedience title known to man on them. She knows the breed standards inside and out, of many breeds. She is an exceptional trainer and so far, has sold every puppy. She goes through extensive screening of new owners, so much so that she emails me their letters and discussions and asks me what I think before she lets them buy a pup lol. There are contracts to protect the dog and guarantees that she will accept them back if anything should go wrong.

It is a TON of work and she says for little or no profit. I am just saying that there is alot to breeding and raising good quality and saleable dogs. It's a full time job for her and that's just a few litters per year. Just recently there was a story on the local news. Sixteen Italian Greyhounds, of varying ages, some with medical needs, that were surrendered to Animal Control by an overwhelmed breeder.

So yes a great deal of research will be needed, plus practical experience before you decide to breed dogs. Can't cull them like a rabbit if you end up with unsold pups. Something to think about.

Thank you both!

We do know that a lot will go into it, but I can see it being something we would enjoy doing together (ideally as a family, but that might take a few more years to truly become reality). That's why I am asking now ;) just to get some ideas on what goes on. We're not ready for the time commitment just yet, but getting there. The pups we had this spring we weren't prepared for, but we did the best we could. They did get LOTS of social time seeing that we had 4 very excited children. I did just start our dogs on Kirkland's grain free food, actually! Our older dog's system is a bit particular, and with the cheap stuff she gets all red and itchy on her belly :( At first it didn't dawn on me what was causing it (fleas maybe??) but all it took was a change in food for it to go away. Sure, it costs more, but then you look at the recommended amounts and they are often times 1/3 the amount of the cheap stuff, so really they are pretty similarly priced!

Very interesting to see some of the differences... which I figured would be the case, glad to get both responses so quick!

I have been searching and researching because we are down to two dogs, our medium sized GR mix who is going on 10 years old, then the smaller JRT/Heeler mix pup that's 9 months old. Living where we live we will never be without a bigger dog so I am trying to decide if we should get one now and start working with it, or wait until our older dog is gone. Pros and cons both ways. I know I will have to probably pay for the next dog to get what I want, and I was looking at some of the ones people were "rehoming" but was nervous about taking in someone else's problems (like you mentioned). That's one thing if you are an adult, but having young children and various smaller animals around, that makes me nervous. Then we started contemplating breeding and I figured if that's something we want to do, we need to start making plans now... the next dog will likely be the first of a pair. Oh. and for rescues? How does anyone get through their application process? Unless they flat out lie? I applied for what sounded like the perfect dog for us, but not only did the application take forever, they ask for things that a LOT of people likely can't offer... like a 6ft, preferably 8ft privacy fenced in yard. We live out in the country. I don't have a privacy fenced in yard. Underground wired electric fence was possibly OK, not ideal, but wireless was not at all allowed (maybe I am unaware of some of the downsides to wireless? If so, I would love someone to let me know!). <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:31 am __________ <br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":aiqzhsuw said:
heritage":aiqzhsuw said:
I joked with DH that I could fly out to CA, visit some family, and bring home a couple of MSD's pups ;)

That would work, lol! Actually, just out of curiosity I looked up airfare to ship a pup out to you- it is under $200, surprisingly. :D

Oh goodness, that's dangerous to know :lol: . Does that generally go OK? I've always wondered about dogs on planes... how successful it is, if there are any repercussions from it.

I was talking to my mom about being interested in an Australian Shepherd and she absolutely balked at it, about how high strung they are, a bit psycho at times, that it was not at all what I wanted. I am guessing some of that depends on the dog? I take my mom's info with a grain of salt, but I am curious the temperaments you usually see with yours. Sadie, our 10 year old dog, was crazy hyper as well (likely a Golden Ret/Border Collie/who-knows-what-else mix), and even at her age still has a LOT of energy.

I will PM you for some more info b/c I really am serious about possibly getting one in the next year or so.

From my experience there's not much of a profit margin in breeding dogs. If you get into it, do it because you love the breed not to make big bank.

Another thing to think about is are you wanting to breed for standard or function.

Next is the show ring. Whether that's westminster, agility, or working rings. That will allow you to ask a higher price.

Out going Cost:
Food ( both mother and pups)
Shots
Extras (docking and dew claws)
Entrance fees

Incoming Revenue:
Possible winnings
Sell of pups
Stud fees

Stud fees could go either way. Should you house, feed, and general health of a breeding pair plus the litter or just the female and litter?

If I were to get back to breeding I think I would only have a male. Show him and get premium on his semen. But that's me. A litter of pups takes a lot of work if done right.

I know a lot of breeders that sell pups any were from 4wks and up. But the pups really need to stay with the mother up to 8wks. Plus what is the plan for unsold pups. Unlike rabbits it's not politically correct to cull dogs or cats, and pups get difficult to place after about 3 months old. Dropping the cost helps but you always wind up with at least one. Mother in-law bred dobermans. In 12 years she only had 3 pups that never left the farm. Which is a huge success in my book. I've seen some start with a breeding pair and at the end of 5 years had 10 pups that were never purchased.

Best of luck and research research research. Choose a breed that you could never live without.
Cathy

I have a question....Where does the 8 week statistic for pups being sold come from? I've gotten almost all our dogs at 6 weeks and that is pretty standard around here especially with hunting dogs. I've just always wondered if 8 weeks was something thought up by rescues (ie older pups decrease a breeders profit) or if there where actually studies done to determine the age?

I'll just repeat what my breeder told me. She said that they used to try different ages for placing pups. Younger and they lacked important dog on dog social lessons that they learn from mom. Older (ten+ weeks) and they were already bonding with the breeder and her hubby and had more difficulty bonding with the new owner. My pup was shipped at 8 weeks and bonded instantly. Partly I am sure because I rescued him from the big bad airplane!

Dog breeding is scary to me.
With rabbits and small livestock, euthanasia is the go-to for most serious illnesses.
Not only is it cheap, the breeder still gets a meal out of it.

With dogs you are looking at vet fees.
Crazy or poor tempers? You would be stuck with it, or stuck trying to pawn it off on someone else.
Unsold pups? Can't be dinner, and they could get REALLY expensive to feed, house separately, or spay and neuter.
Poor genetics? You could easily discover an entire expensive line of dogs has genes that are questionably ethical to breed. Then do you sell them to someone else, or keep a lot of pets?

I respect dog breeders a great deal, and I didn't hesitate to pay top dollar for our Newf, because we wanted the kind of family pet that came from a small breeder.

I guess, I always thought dog breeding would be an expensive hobby. :)

It is. I have an old friend that breeds pit bull terriers. When he started he had a 60% cull ratio. But he didn't start with the best for one and second that breed has been badly bred for decades. After 20 years he only has to culls out less than a percent. Some of his dogs have even won at westminster. Some have become therapy dogs. But that's a hard choice. You can eat dog and if prepared right is quite good. But most can't get past the pet idea. No I would never eat my pets. But what is and is not a pet is strictly a personal choice.

Anyways, breed because you love the breed not for the money, and the profit won't make a difference. And when you'r doing the books at the end of December and see that you made a whole whoopin $30. Look to your left and right and you'll see the real reason panting in your face. :p :lol: :lol:

It wouldn't be all about the money, more a hobby we could do together, but a chance to earn a little something was a draw. There's a reason why I am asking here before we really seriously consider it... I don't know the ins and outs of quality breeding (behind the scenes). Thanks for all the info - lots to consider. Keep it coming if you think of more!

I would be more inclined to dog breed once my children are out of the house. I tease my hubby that once the youngest is out, we're moving on to puppies! lol

But i research everything extensively before any type of undertaking. Go to local dog shows, see what is out there.. talk to breeders, talk to vets... get your name out there first. a good name/reputation is half the battle (at least that's what my dad says)

but if the love and passion is there...that's the right way to do it!

We have two Great Pyrenees, and they guard our land, and my rabbits. My mom joked one too many times with my dad about buying a female, and he went out and got one. We plan to be breeding mid June/July. :) :bunnyhop:

heritage":z1b66m14 said:
I was talking to my mom about being interested in an Australian Shepherd and she absolutely balked at it, about how high strung they are, a bit psycho at times, that it was not at all what I wanted. I am guessing some of that depends on the dog?

Absolutely, it depends on the line of dogs. That is one of the things that makes our dogs so wonderful- they are incredibly mellow, and content to just lounge around with us unless asked to do something. When we had riding horses, they loved going out on trail, and could go for miles and miles without stopping. My kids can get them all riled up- they love to play chase or hide and seek with them- but once the game is over the dogs are back to being calm and mellow.

Part of that is genetics, but it is also how we raise our dogs. Pups are trained to be calm and responsive first, before introducing any excitable games or behaviors such as playing tug of war or chase. I believe that if you start a dog out with hyper behaviors, that becomes their "default mindset"... that they become addicted to that adrenaline rush, perhaps. Once they know some basic commands such as sit and down, then we will introduce those excitable games and behaviors because their "default mindset" is to be calm and gentle.

We had someone buy a pup from us about a year ago, and they then bought another Australian Shepherd (purebred) from someone else as a companion for their pup from us. That dog was way too intense and became very dominant with the first pup. They ended up finding him a new home and came for another pup (full sister to the male pup) from us.

Zass":z1b66m14 said:
With dogs you are looking at vet fees.

Not necessarily. Our dogs have never been to a vet, with the exception of Basil who as a pup ran into the wheel of a golf cart that was piled high with kids (mine and a bunch of their friends) while being chased by one of their dogs. She sheared of the head of her femur, which required a $1200 surgery to remove the ball joint.

She was the foundation female of our line of dogs, and earned that money back many times over.

Dewclaws and tails can be done at home by a confident and skilled breeder. I actually do the tails and dewclaws for two other breeders in my area... they could easily do it themselves, but are just a bit squeamish. One of them did their first litter, as a matter of fact, but the tails turned out too long, as opposed to mine, which are always perfect, *smug, self satisfied grin*, so now they always bring them to me. I don't charge anything for the service- these people are my friends, and I know that if I ever needed the favor returned in some way they would be there for me.

Crazy or poor tempers?

This is why it is so important to get dogs from lines that are known for several generations.

Ours have some quirky behaviors that we see passed from generation to generation. For instance, Sherlock will always grab something (a toy, stick, glove, gardening trowel, whatever) and "talk with his mouth full" whining in delight upon greeting us in the morning or when we return home from town. We see this behavior in some of his pups, and know that his grandmother June does the same thing.

Sherlock also has a "girly bark" when he is excited/frustrated, such as when the dogs play fetch, because Levi will not allow him to get the ball. His father Bocephus does the same thing.

Unsold pups?

I actually have people contact me wanting an older trained dog occasionally, so unsold pups (we have one that is about eight months and a four month old currently- out of eight litters) are never a worry for me. I know that I will eventually sell them, at which time they know sit, down, sit from down, the command "out" (get out of the flower bed, out of the rabbit area, etc.), "off", "up", sit as a default behavior, etc. They also have the calm and mellow mindset from being raised with our pack of dogs.

Poor genetics? You could easily discover an entire expensive line of dogs has genes that are questionably ethical to breed.

About 14 years ago I decided to breed great Danes and traveled to Tucson Arizona twice- a twelve hour drive, mind you!- to buy first the female ($1200) and second the male ($2000). I showed the dogs and they did quite well.

When my female came into heat for the first time I was not yet ready to breed her, so the dogs were separated. Viktor, our male, became so stressed that he had a seizure and did a back flip. :x The vet was unable to diagnose him without an MRI, which was not an option, so I took the wait and see approach.

There was no seizure activity until Shirobi once again came into season. This time, not only did he seizure, but he managed to twist his gut and bloat. On a Sunday. So off to the vet he went, and thankfully they flipped his stomach with a tube. On Monday he went to our regular vet and spent a couple of days being stabilized, whereupon he was neutered and had surgery to tack his stomach to his abdominal wall.

So, yes, you can pay a lot of money for what you believe to be good stock only to find that they are not breedable after all. :angry:

wamplercathy":z1b66m14 said:
Another thing to think about is are you wanting to breed for standard or function.

Our males come from some of the top lines in the country, bred for conformation and performance. The dogs behind them were dual registered and dual titled with Conformation championships and either herding or agility titles, many of which were MACH dogs. Our foundation female is from local working ranch dogs.

If you know anything about true cowboys/ranchers, they will not tolerate a dog that does not know it's job, so again there are good working lines behind her.

One of our pups is a certified service dog, and another is in training to become certified. Others are working ranch dogs, but most are companion animals.

wamplercathy":z1b66m14 said:
From my experience there's not much of a profit margin in breeding dogs.

I disagree- at least on the west coast where breeding dogs has become so frowned upon (rescue, rescue, rescue!), there is a real shortage of well raised puppies. Our pups have been placed all over California, many have gone to Nevada, and one went as far as New Mexico. I have over a dozen people on my waiting list for spring litters.

Our dogs are not even purebred- they are crosses of Australian Shepherd with some Border Collie. Basil is half Aussie half BC, while our males are full Aussie, so her pups are 1/4th Border Collie. Her daughter's pups are 1/8th BC, and pups from the next generation have just a touch of BC.

People love this cross, and many are biased against full purebred dogs, so actually they have been very profitable for us. In fact, they are what has been keeping us afloat since the economy tanked and construction jobs are few and far between.

JJCRabbitry":z1b66m14 said:
My mom joked one too many times with my dad about buying a female, and he went out and got one. We plan to be breeding mid June/July.

I would suggest that you get some type of larger livestock- goats or sheep- so the pups can be raised with them. It is very important to start the pups with the type of livestock they are destined to guard, which in turn will make them more marketable.

And on that note- MARKETING- is very important. This entails not only a well written ad with quality photos, but also extensive communication with the potential owners, and follow up communication with them as well. I offer support to my buyers with questions regarding veterinary care and training, and anything else they may have questions about. As a result I get many repeat buyers and referrals to other people seeking a good dog.

I often cringe at the ads I see on Craigslist showing puppies in newspaper lined pens covered in poop... or puppies being fed out of trash can lids, often times with a bag of some horrible "meat flavored" kibble in the back ground. I suspect that my ads sometimes get flagged just because they are so much more professional than "the competition". ;)

I also will name the pups and add that to the photo so that when people contact me about a particular pup I know exactly which they are interested in. It also makes me feel closer to the pups when they have a name, and I think people also connect more with a named rather than a numbered pup. Quite a few people have actually kept the names, although I make it clear to them that the pups will readily accept a new name and in most cases don't actually know their names at all.

Out west is completely different from the mid west. Puppy mills run rampant out this way. Plus if your breeders have some good titles and ribbons behind them the pups are worth more. In this area a german shepherd can go for $300-500, but add a title or show win that price goes up. Add in that the gsd is functional and you could get as much as $1000+ But that's about the top range. It takes time to build your brand also. Breeders that are making a decent profit have been doing it a long time. The market has been flooded with certain breeds too. A movie show casing a certain breed can be the worst thing to happen to it. :cry:

MSD - thank you for taking the time for such replies! Very much appreciated! If you are not opposed to it, could we talk via phone one day? I have so many questions swirling through my mind that the thought of typing it all out makes my fingers hurt :oops: :lol:

Funny you should mention service dogs in your lines. That is something that I seriously want to consider a few years down the road... training them that is. I think it would be WAY too much for us any time soon, but I have watched documentary after documentary and am moved to tears seeing the lives they change. My dad's ex-wife used to take puppies to train, but it was more of a train wreck for all involved. She showed what NOT to do when training a service dog - every single one failed miserably. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:13 pm __________ <br /><br />
wamplercathy":5vh1e4gk said:
Out west is completely different from the mid west. Puppy mills run rampant out this way. Plus if your breeders have some good titles and ribbons behind them the pups are worth more. In this area a german shepherd can go for $300-500, but add a title or show win that price goes up. Add in that the gsd is functional and you could get as much as $1000+ But that's about the top range. It takes time to build your brand also. Breeders that are making a decent profit have been doing it a long time. The market has been flooded with certain breeds too. A movie show casing a certain breed can be the worst thing to happen to it. :cry:

I can see that with Max - we haven't yet seen it, but I'm guessing that's been a big draw for GSDs.

Our area is flooded with Pitt Bulls... pure bred to mixed. I would say Boxers and GSDs are next up. The vast majority on CL are mixed with Pitt or Boxer, then a lot of "lab" as well, but I can see that being like rabbits - people just throw the name out there even if they don't have a clue. That's what really has me wanting to go west for our next pup ;) . We're in a lower income area and the postings are pitiful... I, too, look at the background of pics and am shocked what people either don't notice or don't care to remove from a photo. Trying to rehome a dog? Taking a far off pic through chain link into a mud pit of a run (or chained to a tree) is not the best "marketing" for that dog.

I decided that I just can't take a chance taking in a rehomed adult dog right now, not with young children still at home. I know anything can happen with any animal, but I don't want to take in someone else's problem. The stray we took in was fine for a while, sweetheart of a dog, but her demeanor was quickly changing with my youngest. We found her a new home with full disclosure, a 60 year old couple, no children involved just in case, but I know not everyone is going to be as honest about things as we are.

heritage":2p1cetfz said:
MSD - thank you for taking the time for such replies! Very much appreciated!

No problem! Such replies are what make my buyers feel confident getting a pup from me, lol, so I am used to it.

If you are not opposed to it, could we talk via phone one day?

Sure. I am headed out to prep for the storm we are expecting this weekend (projected 6" of snow here, which is a pretty big deal!), but PM me your number and we can arrange a time to talk.

That is something that I seriously want to consider a few years down the road... training them that is.

I would love to do something like that myself, but unfortunately we don't get to town very often, so I don't think we would qualify as a foster home for a pup. Too little outside exposure. :(

MamaSheepdog":30urgbfx said:
heritage":30urgbfx said:
MSD - thank you for taking the time for such replies! Very much appreciated!

No problem! Such replies are what make my buyers feel confident getting a pup from me, lol, so I am used to it.

If you are not opposed to it, could we talk via phone one day?

Sure. I am headed out to prep for the storm we are expecting this weekend (projected 6" of snow here, which is a pretty big deal!), but PM me your number and we can arrange a time to talk.

That is something that I seriously want to consider a few years down the road... training them that is.

I would love to do something like that myself, but unfortunately we don't get to town very often, so I don't think we would qualify as a foster home for a pup. Too little outside exposure. :(

Very good point about the outside exposure - we go once or twice a week, not a huge amount, but maybe enough?

Definitely prep for the storm! We had ours last week... thankfully we were on the very south end of it so while Wash. DC got 3' :shock: we were able to enjoy our 3" or so. It's no hurry ;) But I definitely want to talk! Will PM you now :)

heritage":2eqyhepd said:
I can see that with Max - we haven't yet seen it, but I'm guessing that's been a big draw for GSDs.

I kinda felt sick when I saw the preview. That's a Malinois not a GSD. Very advanced type dog. Like a GSD on crack. Terrible breed to popularize.

imajpm":3qiv45d5 said:
heritage":3qiv45d5 said:

I kinda felt sick when I saw the preview. That's a Malinois not a GSD. Very advanced type dog. Like a GSD on crack. Terrible breed to popularize.

I have never heard of a Malinois! I'll have to look them up, just out of curiosity.

Latest posts

Back