Dog Bite

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
went to a friend of a friend's house last night, and got bit by the dog. Was told "oh, he never bites anyone, just ignore him" ... well, reached for my drink and I guess I startled the dog or invaded his space or something. Small wound on my hand, I cleaned it with peroxide and then applied polysporin and some bandages. He said the dog is UTD on rabies and distemper vaccination. Anything else I should or could do?

I'd go for a tetanus shot, unless you have had one recently. Why take chances?

I hope they were properly apologetic and are taking steps to make sure they keep control of the dog in future.

It was kinda my fault... apparently the dog just eats his food out of grocery bags, I didn't know that, and I thought he was into something he shouldn't be. He(the owner) was apoligetic(still getting "i'm sorry!!" texts, and it was like 5hrs ago, lol), and the dog was my fast friend when he realized he couldn't bully me. It's just so odd to me with food defensive dogs, since mine is not at all, and my mom's dog respects me enough to know not to mess with me.

I am UTD on tetanus, had a booster fairly recently, like 2 wks ago when I started working on my rusty salvage cages, so no worries there. Doubt the dog has rabies or distemper, even if it hasn't been vaccinated, as neither of those has been reported in the area recently.

You should be fine, but I don't see what the dog eating out of grocery bags has to do with you reaching for your drink and getting bitten. Seems to me that this dog is not safe to be around guests.

I don't trust anyone's dog..........period.

I don't even trust mine when it comes to being around strangers.

They're an animal and animals should never be trusted.

Whenever we have guests coming into our home, the dogs are
automatically crated. And they'll stay there until our company
leaves.

I don't appreciate folks who allow their, "oh, he never bites" dog around me.
I just don't trust any animal enough to be comfortable with them shoving their nose up my butt!!!
I'll ask the owner once nicely to keep their dog away.
If they don't heed my request.....it's easy for me to leave.
All I have to do is say, "Good-bye"

I've lost a few acquaintances over my simple requests.
However, I've never been bitten either.

grumpy

Sorry, I was still a little intoxicated when trying to explain this morning, and I don't think I was making much sense, lol.

Dog is food defensive. He was rooting around in a plastic bag, and I didn't realize it was full of dog food(plus not my dog, not my problem), and reached over him to grab my drink. He thought I was reaching to take it away, or something, and bit me, defending his food. It's hardly more than a scratch, though, doesn't even deserve a bandaid, but I get infection very easily, and don't want to get dust and crud stuck to the polysporin.

I can definitely see how people can be afraid of dogs though! He was just a little guy, but still kinda spooky with how he went after me.

Bad Habit":1rf70nx4 said:
Sorry, I was still a little intoxicated when trying to explain this morning, and I don't think I was making much sense, lol.

Dog is food defensive. He was rooting around in a plastic bag, and I didn't realize it was full of dog food(plus not my dog, not my problem), and reached over him to grab my drink. He thought I was reaching to take it away, or something, and bit me, defending his food. It's hardly more than a scratch, though, doesn't even deserve a bandaid, but I get infection very easily, and don't want to get dust and crud stuck to the polysporin.

I can definitely see how people can be afraid of dogs though! He was just a little guy, but still kinda spooky with how he went after me.

That is a personal pet peeve of mine...dogs that guard resources from humans. :evil: My dog knows that if I take something from her, she gets it back plus something BETTER...so she happy hands over treats, toys, food, whatever. That dog needs some serious training and socialization, STAT. What if it'd been a child who got bit?! Unacceptable.

That's something I've worked hard on with Chuck - not that he has ever shown any signs of guarding against people. I have covered his food dish with my hand while he was eating, and he simply licked me and started rubbing his face on my hand, which is how he begs for ear scratches, lol. My (at the time) 3 year old nephew dropped a broccoli on the floor one day, and Chuck grabbed it... Didn't the little rug rat go right into Chuck's mouth after it, because he(my nephew) wanted to eat it. We taught the kid the drop it command after that, so he doesn't end up getting bit by a less tolerant dog.

Hand is definitely infected, but I was pretty sure that was coming. Slight swelling, heat and a little bit of pus. If it hasn't cleared up in a day or two, it's off to the dr for me.

Ugh. I got bit in the face by a dog once. Bad training was the issue. Since then I dont trust anyones dogs. Im guessing it was a small dog?

yeah, small dog. I think he said Weiner and JRT. Unless you're asking about Chuck(my dog) who's a shih tzu x chihuahua

I'm sorry you got bit, hopefully the infection will heal for you quickly.

This is my biggest pet peeve though, food aggression is not something to play with. And you did nothing wrong, the owners are at 100% at fault. Number one they should not be feeding the dog out of bag, that's what dog bowels are for, no excuses there.

Second they need to start training that dog or someone will get seriously hurt. It starts with the food aggression and can sometimes transfer over to other things.

I take any type of aggression, even little nips seriously. My husband was attacked by a dog and had his side ripped open as a child. He had to kill the dog in order to save his life because no one came to help him, so at that point it was his life or the dogs. He never did a thing to that dog to get him to attack, but it started with minor aggression and was ignored by the owner.

A child could steal my dogs food away and she would sit there without a care, but as a puppy she started out food aggressive and I had spent countless hours training her.

I mentioned it to the guy, and while he felt bad that I got bit, he didn't seem too fussed about the dog being aggressive, and I doubt he intends to train it at all. I doubt I will be going to that house again.

The infection is pretty much cleared up. I've been soaking it in warm water and putting new polysporin on it 3x a day, which is probably helping a fair bit.

Soaking it in a solution of warm Epsom Salts and water is great for drawing out infection. It sounds like it will clear up fine, but if you find it is getting worse, do consider the Epsom Salts soak.

That angers me so much, people need to be realistic about the dangers their animals can pose to others. Their dog BIT you!!! :shock:

Yeah I'd avoid their house too if I was you.

When my kiddo was a tiny little bean-sized baby, a friend asked me and my ex to bring him over for dinner. We had the following sort of conversation:

Me: "Sorry but I don't trust your dog not to bite, so unless you crate the dog or put it outside while we're there I'm not comfortable having my kid near him."
Them: "Oh he'd NEVER bite, he LOVES children, he's a sweet dog I promise!"
Me: "He bit your neck and wouldn't let go, and it bled a lot. A dog that takes a chunk out of his owner isn't a dog I want my baby around."
Them: "Well he only bit me because I was brushing him and I pulled on his hair too hard."
Me: "Yes, I know, and what do babies do with their grabby little hands?"

This is the same dog who, a year later, walked up to me wagging his tail and looking totally relaxed, and BIT THE CRAP OUT OF THE TOP OF MY FOOT. I hollered for them to get the dog or I'd kick it to make it stop. :roll: I have never been inside their house since. Not even since that awful dog died...because they of course got another dog...and I doubt they've socialized or trained it, either. :evil:

Yeah, I consider all dogs like I do a gun: loaded and ready to go off!

Latest posts

Back