Does using nestbox as a litter box?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandainohio24

Reaction score
What are the options on what to do about this? Two of my does have decided to use their nestbox as a litter box. Thank goodness they are at least using the opposite end that their kits are on but this cannot continue. Both are 1st time mothers. Worst case scenario I can take the nestbox out and give it back to them a few times during the day but if at all possible I would like to avoid doing that.

Mine did that but I figured out that I put it in too soon. So I wait until day 25 to put it in. If you have small rabbits you need small nesting boxes. I have Dwarfs and Martens so I use the regular size for the Martens and I made the boxes for the Dwarfs out of a paper box we had at the office. Got two out of one box and it was easy to make and easy to replace!

Zass":17ohr5gq said:
Are your nestboxes larger than they need to be for your does? If so, a smaller sized nestbox might help.
Both have a next box the size of the very smallest sized cat litter box that they make. I could drop them down to a size of a shoe box but with the larger litters I thought they might need the size they have now.<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:32 pm __________<br /><br />
lilrabbitry715":17ohr5gq said:
Mine did that but I figured out that I put it in too soon. So I wait until day 25 to put it in. If you have small rabbits you need small nesting boxes. I have Dwarfs and Martens so I use the regular size for the Martens and I made the boxes for the Dwarfs out of a paper box we had at the office. Got two out of one box and it was easy to make and easy to replace!
Mine already have their babies so definitely not too early for them. Ours our a dwarf breed (Lionheads). I am hoping my son will be able to make a couple after Christmas as my mother is getting him some power tools as a gift.

Latest posts

Back