Doe's uninterested in breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twice a day, I take their galvanized "bowls" and bang them against a support pillar in the barn until the ice falls out. Then I break the water in the sheep's buckets (if it isn't solid) and dip some out for the bunnies. Otherwise I melt the edges with milk jugs of hot water I've brought from the house, dump out the giant ice "cube" somewhere out of the way, and fill everything with hot water. I'm kinda low-tech here. 😂
If you put the ice cube you break out back into the cage, they'll have something to chew on and play with (and get hydrated in the process) when their new bowl of water freezes. :)

haha, its not perfected yet... It was about 20° out and the nipple froze in 3 out of 4 bowls. the distance from the circulating line where the T is to the valve is too far. I need to get it shorter, because the hose doesnt freeze off the T, just the valve. Once I get it working I'll take some pics of what I did and get a how-to post going.
I'm interested! Thank's for sharing this info!

Oh yeah, he's definitly got a wiener. And found his sacks too. They just seem to be empty? its weird.
It is rare but sometimes a buck's testicles will not "drop".
This does occur in other mammals as well. There is more than one reason for it. Look up Cryptorchid.
If your concerned this is the case bring the boy inside for a couple of hours. let him get warmed up. Pick him up about 6 to 8 inches off of a firm surface and plop him down. Your trying to get his testicles to drop out. You may need to do it a few times, gently, don't throw the poor boy!
Saw this done by a judge once at a show, it worked in that case. Took 3 tries.
You could also place him in a confined room and get it hot. Hot weather will make them droop out a lot! :) Poor testes are trying to find a cool place

I'm interested! Thank's for sharing this info!
They are expensive but there are electric heated water bottles. Only good if you can provide the electricity.
We used a bucket heater and got the water moderately warmer than what comes from the well. After banging out the main chunk of ice then replace and fill. Lasts a little longer that way.
(Too warm and it can actually freeze faster. I know, totally counter intuitive... I argued this with hubby and he showed me the thermodynamics. Sometimes science is black magic)

Definitely agree with everyone on the topic of certain does having buck preferences! I have one doe that is specific to one buck only. I have tried her with four bucks over time, but only the one is acceptable.

I can imagine that could be a challenge if only one buck is available (as is the case for most beginners or those that don’t want much production). Glad you might have an option for another buck to try.

Definitely agree with everyone on the topic of certain does having buck preferences! I have one doe that is specific to one buck only. I have tried her with four bucks over time, but only the one is acceptable.

I can imagine that could be a challenge if only one buck is available (as is the case for most beginners or those that don’t want much production). Glad you might have an option for another buck to try.
Is that Kiwi by chance? Hershey was one of my does that would have nothing to do with Harlee. I had to buy her a new buck. LOL

Is that Kiwi by chance? Hershey was one of my does that would have nothing to do with Harlee. I had to buy her a new buck. LOL

Actually, Kiwi has bred with most of my bucks so far. It’s another doe that has the single-buck-syndrome! Having multiple bucks to try a doe with can help figure out if it’s a picky doe or if she’s just not ready. Most of the time, I have found that a doe is just not ready, and when they finally are, it doesn’t matter to them which buck I put them with.

It’s great you found another tri Rex buck to use for that pairing!

Actually, Kiwi has bred with most of my bucks so far. It’s another doe that has the single-buck-syndrome! Having multiple bucks to try a doe with can help figure out if it’s a picky doe or if she’s just not ready. Most of the time, I have found that a doe is just not ready, and when they finally are, it doesn’t matter to them which buck I put them with.

It’s great you found another tri Rex buck to use for that pairing!
Yes, that is true for the majority of my does. But there was just something about that buck. It all worked out for the good. I sold him and bought a pedigreed buck.

I have a buck/doe pair that have mated successfully a couple times. this last time, she did not want anything to do with the buck. ran around and would not lift. finally after 3 days of putting them together (3 times of putting them together, observing no good interactions), on day 4 she seemed to lift - he had 3 good fall offs. expected kindle date is in about a week, so we will see.

not sure if she was just not in the mood or maybe having a bad fur day

In one of the ARBA publications I received there was a chart showing the estrogen level in does depending on time of year. Very informative. As days shorten, the does are not receptive to a buck. Specifically in the months of Dec. and Jan it is quite difficult.
Come Feb the chart curve rises significantly. In March... breeding should be MUCH easier. There is a reason Easter is associated with baby buns.
I have placed a doe in a bright. balanced light for 12 hours on and 12 hours off and found this does help during the months of November through January. Not perfect but it does make a doe much more ready to breed.
I live in an area that really does not get very cold. 28F is one of our colder temperatures. So for those who live in much colder climates, keep this in mind.
Also putting the doe next to or actually in the bucks cage will help make her more receptive.
Nothing is totally sure to work.... but this info has been helpful and informative for me.

Latest posts

Back