Does this Seem Right?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Lily - Japanese Harlequin - AaB_C_Ddeje

Dobby - Blue - aaB_C_ddEej

They've produced black, blue, chestnut, opal, harlequin, blue harlequin, harlequin on a white base(that's non-extension, right?) smoke pearl and siamese sable.

Someone's got the chl gene in there. Don't know which though. they could either be Bb or BB, or one of each. I'm a little confused on the C gene... would it be CCchl since neither has the colour? Or is it the chl gene that makes the doe harlequin on a white base?

It's not something that I *have* to know, but it is something I'm interested in figuring out, lol.

-----

Geez, my head hurts. I'm thinking that I must have Cc and C cchl, because from my reading it seems that the chl gene only shows when it's paired with a c gene, rather than a C gene... so it's aa cchl_ dd to get a smoke pearl, does that mean it'd be either cchl C or cchl c?

I smell sour milk... I think my poor overworked brain is about to shut down.

Smelling sour milk? lol

I'm finding that as much as I read about color genetics, the more I need to experience it. It takes a long time to understand it. And if you don't have access to a lab to do genetic testing, you will never really totally understand it. It's a shot in the dark. Mother Nature does what she wishes, regardless of what facts you have.

Look at MaggieJ, with her one baby coming up with long hair. Go figure. It just pops up.

BTW, MaggieJ, I think he/she is so sweet. I know it would be tough to keep in a colony, but definitely a nice looking kit.

Karen

Well, with breeding, you can figure out what they carry, slowly but surely. With the results I've gotten, I've filled in some blanks - like Lily being Dd because they produce dilutes, and Dobby being Eej because they produce harlequins.

Just gotta figure out why Lily's got a white undercoat and produced a kit like that, and figure out the C gene, and that should fill in another gap or two.

Harlequin on a white base? I'm assuming you are referring to magpie, and magpie is a chin (chld) based harlequin.

Latest posts

Back