Does this look like a VM BEW carrier?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
The ad for this sooty fawn says it has blue eyes and it appears to in the photo. But in the past I bought a rabbit that appeared to be Vienna blue eyed carrier but really it was a black self chin with gray/blue and a white nose, it really appeared to be a Bew carrier but it wasn't. So I don't want to be fooled again. So my question is does this definitely look like a rabbit carrying the true blue eyed white gene? Is there any chance its not? Like, do sooty fawns sometimes have grey eyes and maybe its just a fluke that its got the perfect VM markings. sootyblueeyes.jpg

Do you have a way better screen than me or what... Maybe there's a slightly lighter color around a dark area in the tiny slit. I asked Josh and his response was " there are eyes on it?".

The rest of the markings can also be poor quality dutch. Is there a pedigree? That might help.

You are right I can't see the eye well enough to see if its really blue, but I can tell its too light to be brown, but it might be gray. I'm trying to get some more information from the breeder, would really like to know if she's gotten any bew in her litters. Do Sooty fawns often have grey eyes? <br /><br /> __________ Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:06 am __________ <br /><br /> You are right I can't see the eye well enough to see if its really blue, but I can tell its too light to be brown, but it might be gray. I'm trying to get some more information from the breeder, would really like to know if she's gotten any bew in her litters. Do Sooty fawns often have grey eyes?

I would say it is a Vienna carrier for several reasons
- there is quite a bit of white
- I don't think it looks like a Dutch cross but a purebred Lionhead and the breed is rampant with vienna
- sooty fawns don't have grey eyes, neither do black torts - which is what I would call this colour :) (dilute ones do but I am quite sure this isn't a blue tort, possibly chocolate)

It does look like there is bew in the lineage.
And I agree with Dood, this looks like a lionhead, or lionhead cross.

I get kits like this with my bew program all the time (have to breed large maned colors to bew's to increase mane size).

Oh, its nice to hear you guys think its probably got the Bew gene. Its supposed to be a Jersey Wooly but... I'm suspicious of how this persons lines got the Bew gene, I suspect a bew cashmere lop might be in the mix there, Because its rare to find a Bew JW but Bew lines of Cashmere lops have been developed here in New Zealand. Sadly there are no lionheads in New Zealand at all and probably never will be because the won't allow rabbits to be imported from anywhere but Australia and Australia doesn't have them either.

The ears look pretty well perfect in the picture so if there is lop in the history I think it might be several generations back.

The kit has more facial fur than the Jersey wollies I've seen -they're more like tiny French angoras than English- which is why I thought Lion head ;)

Latest posts

Back