Does Spraying Urine

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PulpFaction

Reaction score
A pet buyer contacted me today about their little girl recently starting to spray urine at their male chihuahua. (And yes, I am sure it is a female. She didn't leave here 'til almost 5 months old, it was obvious!)

Apparently, they also have two female chihuahuas that the bunny "likes to chase". This all sounds like a weird rabbit identity crises and dominance issues to me. How can I help them solve it?

At this point, we're only looking at behavioral modifications and training options.

not that weird - spay her ... as a pet rabbit her length of life will likely be significantly longer spayed then not too

managing her would mean keeping her away from the chis probably and that may or may not cure the problem

No, not weird, I read about this, and have seen it, a doe will spray a male or 'contender' for dominance, supposedly getting sprayed in the face deters jr. buck from breeding, and is a territorial/dominance thing....

so, I guess she didn't want the dog to hump her LOL, sorry couldn't resist. She is just making sure she is top dog.

Jack":1eb03ash said:
No, not weird, I read about this, and have seen it, a doe will spray a male or 'contender' for dominance, supposedly getting sprayed in the face deters jr. buck from breeding, and is a territorial/dominance thing....

so, I guess she didn't want the dog to hump her LOL, sorry couldn't resist. She is just making sure she is top dog.

Yes, that's what I told them. It said it sounds like a dominance thing, and suggested they confine her to her cage for a little longer so she understands that only that is "her" space, instead of her feeling like she can boss the dogs around over the whole house. But I wanted to see if there were other training measures that could be taken at this point, and be sure that was sound advice.

I really don't see spaying her to be an option right now. I haven't a clue as to where to turn for a reliable rabbit vet that I would trust anesthetizing a rabbit. It's not something I would trust in the hands of your average small animal vet.

bearing sea VCA, ravenwood in eagle river, and one out in the valley

The rabbit I had as a teen would chase our cat around the porch mercilessly. She didn't spray, but she would "hump" him, which completely freaked him out. We put a ladder out on the porch so he could escape her. He was very appreciative.

Not that bad, I had a lop as a kid named thumper, she would thump twice, third time send the cat flying, couple of times I swear she dented the wall with the cat. She did spray, but generally that was over were one of the cats marked, now that said, I still don' really like cats that much, and I hate anythings that marks, course I was the one cleaning up the mess.

Then there was my brothers prize winning ND buck, that took B of show or best opposite at western regional, That was were bunny, he would hit anything that moved, he was trying to kill it or hump it, or both...

Miss M":tzw8m2aa said:
The rabbit I had as a teen would chase our cat around the porch mercilessly. She didn't spray, but she would "hump" him, which completely freaked him out. We put a ladder out on the porch so he could escape her. He was very appreciative.
:eek: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: That's so funny! My fiance's doe chases his male cat around trying to scent mark him with her chin-the cat has no idea what to think!

Latest posts

Back