Does nest building = pregnant doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liberator

Reaction score
I didn't think this doe was pregnant but I put a nest box in anyway. The litter would have been due on the 30th but all of a sudden she began digging in the nest box. That prompted me to add some hay. This morning I find her busy making a nest. She has pulled fur and is stuffing the nest box with timothy hay. Is this nest building behavior exhibited by only pregnant does? Or is this normal rabbit behavior regardless of pregnancy?

Following........my bunny has sprigs of hay in her nestbox this morning, and I don't really think she's pregnant either. Maybe going thru a false pregnancy, but waiting to see. She's day 16 and her nestbox is attached to her cage or I would not have put it in early, but it's a permanent structure that can't be removed......from what I have read false pregnancies are more likely to happen early, so you may also be experiencing that if she's not due til 3/30/15....I am a newbie so my only advice is be ready for anything:). Best of luck-keep us updated:)

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. She was due 3-2-15. The fact that February has only 28 days skipped my mind! :D

Ah well that date makes a difference, lol:). So you are like in day 38ish? I have no experience on that, I have read that sometimes a real late delivery will occur. Hopefully others will be able to share their experience and let you know:)

Some does go later than others, especially in cooler weather and/or if they have a small litter.

If you were counting the 2nd as day 28, she would only be 35 days along, which is in the normal range. I would definitely expect to see kits soon.

Mack'smom is correct in her assumption that her doe is more likely to be going through a false pregnancy because she is only midway through the normal gestation period. However, some does do start nesting that early when they are indeed pregnant... just another way our rabbits like to keep us guessing!

Do rabbits make a nest if they are not pregnant and not experiencing a false pregnancy?

Is the nest a sure sign that she is going to kindle?

Nest = Kits ???

From what I gather from reading and talking with others is that it's a big indicator. They usually won't build a nest if they aren't pregnant or think they are pregnant (pseudopregnancy). Nothing is for sure as they are animals and can be unpredictable at any time (occasionally Bucks have been known to build a nest and no one knows why, and it's uncommon) but if she's prepping for babies and you are sure she hasn't been mounted or around anything to induce ovulation since breeding I would think you have a good chance of seeing kits soon:)

macksmom98":f5ldo5mc said:
From what I gather from reading and talking with others is that it's a big indicator. They usually won't build a nest if they aren't pregnant or think they are pregnant (pseudopregnancy). Nothing is for sure as they are animals and can be unpredictable at any time (occasionally Bucks have been known to build a nest and no one knows why, and it's uncommon) but if she's prepping for babies and you are sure she hasn't been mounted or around anything to induce ovulation since breeding I would think you have a good chance of seeing kits soon:)

Thank you.

our doe had her 1st litter then got preg the day she had them opps our fault so buck got removed she had her 2nd litter so we gave her a long break in her 2 months or so break she made a nest at exactly the time when the next litters would have been due if we had breed her straight after kindling she even pulled fur and had beautiful nests had us guessing but we knew without a doubt she wasnt pregnant she is a brilliant mother so we think she just follows her hormones

-- Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:53 pm --

so no a nest doesnt mean popples for us anyway

Doesn't necessarily mean pregnant, but certainly no harm in letting her nest. You won't know, for sure, until you either feel or see popples.

I had 5 kits born last night sometime between 6:30pm and 8pm! The doe was mated 1-30-15, kits born 3-12-15. That seems really late to me. This is our first litter and I hope she's a good mother. I haven't messed with the kits except to remove the afterbirth and get a count. I see people handling kits. Will the mother reject the kits if I handle them too early?

Liberator":1gq9dppj said:
I had 5 kits born last night sometime between 6:30pm and 8pm! The doe was mated 1-30-15, kits born 3-12-15. That seems really late to me. This is our first litter and I hope she's a good mother. I haven't messed with the kits except to remove the afterbirth and get a count. I see people handling kits. Will the mother reject the kits if I handle them too early?

We worried about this when we started last year so we didn't see the kits until they came out of the nest box except for one check a day or two after kindling to remove any dead kit. This week we had our first litter born on the wire, a first time mother and still quite chilly. So we had to pick them up, brought them in and arranged the pulled fur that had been also on the wire in the nest box with the kits on and under it. That doe seems very accepting of our handling the kits. We've checked to be sure they're fed and she seems very relaxed about it. Such a change from her mother who was a biter. Just my very limited experience--hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back