Doe won't nest in the nest box!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfarm

Reaction score
So yesterday I got a new litter of 10 (I posted about it but somehow it disappeared). But now I have another that just started nesting but it isn't in the nest box, it is in the cage. I tried putting the hay in the box and she just takes it right back out. It is going to be 46 tonight so at least not too cold but I am still worried. Anyone ever go through this and what did they do?

give her a whole whack of hay. Keep a close eye on her and then once she kindles, put the kits in the box and then put the box in her chosen spot. :)

Yes, I have occasionally had that happen.

Move the nestbox to the place she has chosen to build her nest. Some does will then switch locations, so watch for that. You may need to put enough nest boxes in the cage that she has no choice but to use one.

If you don't have a bunch of extra boxes, I would recommend lining the bottom and about 4" up the cage sides with cardboard and putting plenty of bedding in the cage. Once she kindles you can move them to a nestbox and remove the cardboard.

Good luck! :clover:

Wow! She was really quick. She started nesting less than 2 hours ago and I just checked her and there were like 6 babies already! I will check again shortly and try and move the nest box and put the babies in there.

Whoohoo! Congratulations!

I'm glad you caught her in the act. I watched a doe give birth on the wire once and I removed each kit after she had cleaned it and put it in the nest. She didn't mind at all.

Once she is finished just put the box in her chosen place.

It seems she had 8 (I think she was done) but 2 were dead. I moved the nest box and put them in it but she didn't pull that much fur and she was in the nest box and looked like she wanted to move the nest again. I will check back again in a bit and it things seem like they are not going well I may just take them in the house for the night. It will be 77 tomorrow so nice and warm so it won't be as much of a problem.

Raising rabbits is suppose to be easy .... we need to make sure the rabbits get the memo. :bunnyhop:

I went out this morning and they where all cold. I wish I had brought them inside, but I thought she would take care of them. I think part of them problem was she didn't pull very much fur. I did pull more off of her but she was in the nest box every time I would check on her so I guess I didn't get them covered as well as they should be. This was only her second litter (she had one at her previous home, not sure how she did with that one). I guess I will rebreed her in the next couple days.

Latest posts

Back