Doe with possible stuck kit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammysue63

Reaction score
Last week we had a storm with really strong winds, uprooted 4 very tall pine our front and broke a 32 year old maple tree at the back which inturn knocked out our hydro. The following night a doe had a litter of 11 all dead, some in the nestbox and some on the wire. Since then she has not been eating and is getting really thin, I gave her tums with calcium but that didn't work. She also seems to be hunched over on the hind end which makes me think it could be a kit that is stuck.
Does anyone have any ideas as to whether this is the problem or not or if there is anything I can do to help her.
Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Flip her over and see if she's swollen down there. If so an anti inflammatory and pain killer may solve the problem. I had a doe pull a stuck kit and end up so swollen and in pain that she refused to do anything but sit hunched over until she was given painkillers. A vet can give you metacam if you want to spend that much on her. Otherwise you can give 1-2 baby aspirin or up to 100mg/kg every 6hrs. The highest dose for more than a day or 2 risks stomach problems.

If it really is a retained fetus only a vet can help and it may be expensive.

See if you can palpate her, you should be able to feel a retained kit, If it was that difficult, she also could have tears or even possible an infection,
And a stuck kit, (which I hate, but happens) will kill an entire litter if it's the first one.

Thank you Pickles for asking. She is still hanging in there.
Thank you akane and Jack for your input.
I gave her a low dose aspirin, I don't know if it helped or not. It seems the only things she will eat are tums and aspirin. Thought she might try some lettuce but no such luck. Think I'll try some apple and see if she will eat that. She is still drinking. Any other ideas, I am open for suggestions.

sometimes if you let the buck mount (without letting him breed) will help things move along. I'd have to wonder if it was a stuck kit though if she had a litter of 11 already. The odds are low that she'd have a big kit after that large a litter. Could be that she has something else going on.

Latest posts

Back