Doe with bald/red spots near genitals and possible UTI?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopSuey

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have an approx 2-3 year old Cal doe who seems to have an infection. I
was giving everyone a grooming and when I flipped her over I noticed her back
end seems moist. She does not sit in her urine that I know of and has a wire
floor except for a resting board. I looked and was shocked to see that the
underside of her back legs on either side of her girl parts was angry red and
bald. Her parts seemed swollen and hard to the touch as well. I have seen urine
in her cage pan, so she must be passing some. I took a warm wet rag and tried to
clean her up a bit. Any ideas? Treatment?

P.S. I checked everyone and my senior buck seems to have swollen genitals as well, also has been licking the area quite allot, but not as bad as the doe.

Here are pics of the doe, sorry about the quality, it as quite a juggling act trying to do it by myself!

Barb1.jpg

Barb2.jpg

Eww, that looks sore. I don't know anything about it, but I did just explore the "first aid" asile of my local farmer's country supply store and saw tetracycline...I was really surprised at the many options easily available--all packaged for somethingother than rabbits. I hope someone with actual experience can chime in! Isolate them if you haven't already, and here is a little reading material until you hear from someone smarter than me. http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalo ... w310-e.pdf

Good luck!

Thanks, after having to put down my other senior Cali doe last week (wry neck) this is a real blow :(

The first thing that popped into my mind was vent disease, but I really do not know a lot about it. You might want to do a little research to confirm or rule it out as a possibility. Poor buns! That looks so sore.

ChopSuey":35iqbg1n said:
Thanks, after having to put down my other senior Cali doe last week (wry neck) this is a real blow :(

oh, Sue. I did not realize you had to put her down....so sorry! If it is vent disease, won't antibiotics clear it up?

OneAcreFarm":1h5s6xmx said:
ChopSuey":1h5s6xmx said:

oh, Sue. I did not realize you had to put her down....so sorry! If it is vent disease, won't antibiotics clear it up?

Yup, after taking her off a pretty strong round of wormers her symptoms returned. If it was anyone else I would have told them, "You tried to treat it, but to keep a rabbit prone to sickness and who needs an abundance of meds is a liability and does not help breed better/stronger babies, I would cull." So I took my own advice and culled her for the good of the herd. It was hard, and I am still sad. But I am trying to see the bigger picture.<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:51 pm __________<br /><br />Thanks Maggie and Akane! That was my conclusion as well, there are no sores but the lack of one symptom seems immaterial. I gave both a dose of Pen G and will do so daily for a week. They have both been sent to the other side of the yard until they clear up. Now I am stumped as to who gave it to who. Both have had litters together for the past year, and neither of my other females who have been bred to this buck or their offspring are showing any symptoms....should I treat everyone or just these two and keep a close eye on everyone else?

I'm no vet but that looks more like a fungus infection and if so, antibiotics will do nothing for it. I would try some of the creams or medicated powders used to treat jock itch or yeast infections. They can't do her any harm. Gold Bond medicated powder may help and the talc in it may also dry it up a bit.

Thanks hoodat! I think I have some lamisil in the medicine cabinet. I also have Blu-Kote in the horse medicine kit and I know that helps with fungus....anyone want to weigh in?

I would have care with the lamisil--it is a pretty strong drug, with side effects if taken internally in humans, and a rabbit is likely to lick it. Maybe the Blue-Kote?

Chopsuey, I have the same problem with my doe. What is it? Did your doe recover? Is penicillin g the only remedy? I've had rabbits for twenty years & this is the first time I saw this. Thank you in advance.

I would suggest clipping the hair in the area- that will help to keep it dry. If it is fungal in nature, I would get some Nu-stock from the feed store and use that. Hubs used it to get rid of athletes foot- he objected vociferously when I sprayed his feet with Blukote and turned his socks purple, so I don't have a comparison of their effectiveness! :lol:

If you can get a pic of the buck's nether regions that would be good too! :)

I can't get s picture right now, but looks exactly like the pictures that ChopSuey posted above.

Latest posts

Back