Doe thinks she's pregnant

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
She has made a nest and pulled fur. I'm 100% sure that she has not been bred. Is there anything that I need to do? Also, does this mean that she really really wants to be pregnant?

paper_crane2":1an68l2z said:
She has made a nest and pulled fur. I'm 100% sure that she has not been bred. Is there anything that I need to do? Also, does this mean that she really really wants to be pregnant?

I have a pet doe who does this all the time. She probably wants bred, but that's instinct right? I really wish she would stop, and I'd like to know if breeding her once would help as well, maybe someone else knows?

it is probably a phantom/pseudo pregnancy:
Pseudopregnancy

If ovulation does not result in pregnancy, the doe will have a pseudopregnancy, or false pregnancy. This may be due to a sterile mating with a buck or by being mounted by another doe. Occasionally a doe that lives alone will learn to stimulate herself to ovulate, resulting in recurrent pseudopregnancies. This can be a problem for the breeder. Pseudopregnancy usually lasts 16-18 days, during which time the doe is unable to conceive. A doe goes through all the hormonal changes of pregnancy during a false pregnancy in a shorter period. At the end of a false pregnancy, the doe usually builds a nest and may even lactate. Fertility usually then returns to normal.

TheLittleBunny10":2flseqea said:
Pseudopregnancy

If ovulation does not result in pregnancy, the doe will have a pseudopregnancy, or false pregnancy. This may be due to a sterile mating with a buck or by being mounted by another doe. Occasionally a doe that lives alone will learn to stimulate herself to ovulate, resulting in recurrent pseudopregnancies. This can be a problem for the breeder. Pseudopregnancy usually lasts 16-18 days, during which time the doe is unable to conceive. A doe goes through all the hormonal changes of pregnancy during a false pregnancy in a shorter period. At the end of a false pregnancy, the doe usually builds a nest and may even lactate. Fertility usually then returns to normal.

I've had false pregnancies before from a sterile buck, but this doe of mine doesn't seem to be having that problem. She just pulls hair at random and make little piles with it. No true nest building behavior though, or teat growth, lactation, etc. She's a velveteen, so it would be easy to see on her, hmmm.

Zass":44ea820g said:
TheLittleBunny10":44ea820g said:
Pseudopregnancy

I've had false pregnancies before from a sterile buck, but this doe of mine doesn't seem to be having that problem. She just pulls hair at random and make little piles with it. No true nest building behavior though, or teat growth, lactation, etc. She's a velveteen, so it would be easy to see on her, hmmm.

Alright, to add to this I figured I'd mention sometimes she fills her food dish with the pulled hair. No dropped hair anywhere else in the cage, full bowl of fluff. It's a small bowl (tuna can sized) What causes that?

Latest posts

Back