Doe suddenly died giving birth - and suggestions why?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiegirl

Reaction score
All of my does (61 in total) have just started having their litters, I just went outside (was about 10pm) to check on two particular does as they are good mums but not so good with the amount of fur pulled so I bring the babies inside during the night.

1 doe had 7 live babies and one very small dead one.
The other doe 2 cages down was in her nest box scratching around & making her nest then I heard a small noise, I looked around and then looked at her cage and noticed her lying in a weird position. I quickly went to check on her and she took a small gasp just as I opened the door and then died, she had 2 dead kits in the nest box & several still inside her.

This was her 3rd litter & had no issues before, she had been making her nest most of the day even came to the door wanting attention as she was a Very friendly rabbit (was actually one of my favorites). Can anyone think of what might of happened?

I just went through the Breeding records as I lost another doe about 3 weeks ago (was 10 days pregnant), she was eating & drinking fine then I just found her dead. I have just realized these two does were sisters (they were the Californians I posted pics of in another post - was to do with growth rates I think).

Could this have been hereditary? I only have the brother left out of those three now.

My guess would be she was in a strange position when a contraction hit, a sudden movement and she broke her back. I recently went through this but she had hers first and I'm still hand feeding the kits.

I can't think of anything that would be hereditary causing this. Sorry you lost her.

Hypocalcemia - low Blood calcium - is often the culprit when females die suddenly a week or so before or a couple weeks after giving birth.

It could be an inherited trait or nutritional or just a fluke :shrug:

What diet are you feeding?

Latest posts

Back