Doe Rabbit Due any day now

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nkloft

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
My rabbit Doe is due to give birth any day now either tonight or tomorrow night. but she hasnt pulled any hair yet. IS this normal ? i wont say i'm 100% sure she is pregnant but i am 80% sure her stomach is big and she just looks pregnant. is it normal for the doe to not pull hair at all ?? the weather here is in the 30s so its not really warm to say she wont need it.

Is it her first time? Some first time does don't have a clue. :( I used to have a lanky mutt doe, her first nest she never did pull ANY fur, I had to pluck some from my Angora and build a nest for her. :roll: The second litter she built a nice nest...then proceeded to give birth to her kits all over the pen, each in a different location, and nowhere near the nest. It was like a terrible version of hide-and-seek where I was terrified that in searching for live kits, I might step on one hidden in the shaving and hay. :x

I'd watch her closely, she might just be waiting til labor starts to get serious about plucking herself. :) I was worried about my first litter of Champagnes...the doe never pulled a hair until she went into labor, then she plucked a tonne of fur and made a great nest so you never know!!!

Many does will not pull fur until just before they kindle, some pull after, some pull days before.

The first sure sign in most rabbitries is the "hay mustache":

IMG_3365.JPG

Provide plenty of straw or hay for her to build her nest with. I line the nest with pine shavings and then stuff a bunch of hay in the box, and allow the doe to add to it.

Good luck! I hope she does well, and you have a nice healthy litter!

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2h139cm3 said:
Is it her first time? Some first time does don't have a clue. :( I used to have a lanky mutt doe, her first nest she never did pull ANY fur, I had to pluck some from my Angora and build a nest for her. :roll: The second litter she built a nice nest...then proceeded to give birth to her kits all over the pen, each in a different location, and nowhere near the nest. It was like a terrible version of hide-and-seek where I was terrified that in searching for live kits, I might step on one hidden in the shaving and hay. :x

I'd watch her closely, she might just be waiting til labor starts to get serious about plucking herself. :) I was worried about my first litter of Champagnes...the doe never pulled a hair until she went into labor, then she plucked a tonne of fur and made a great nest so you never know!!!

No when i got her she actually had a babies at her previous owner. so this would be at least her second time. I'm just worried its my first time breeding rabbits. and i'm also worried because tomorrow would be 31 days and she still haven't giving birth. Hope everything goes good.<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:20 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":2h139cm3 said:
Many does will not pull fur until just before they kindle, some pull after, some pull days before.

The first sure sign in most rabbitries is the "hay mustache":

Provide plenty of straw or hay for her to build her nest with. I line the nest with pine shavings and then stuff a bunch of hay in the box, and allow the doe to add to it.

Good luck! I hope she does well, and you have a nice healthy litter!

i really haven't seen her build a nest because when i put the nest in her cage i filled it up with about 2 inches of pine shaving on the bottom and i added a lot of hay. I also did put Hay in her cage just in case she wanted to add more to the nest box but i didn't see her with any in her mouth. But also i wasn't there often to see what she was doing the whole day.
and Thank you. I hope its a healthy litter as well.

UPDATE:
This Morning i saw the Doe pulling hair and making a nest hopefully she is due today.

Popple watch!!
Mine don't pull fur til they're having contractions :?

MSD, that is one cute 'stache!

Another Update:
My Rabbit give birth today. I was so happy& nervous at the same time i seriously couldnt count them lol. i think its a litter of 10 or more. It was too dark outside and i didnt want to scare the Mother. There werent any dead ones. I'll count them tomorrow morning.

Thank you very much Guys. and i actually was wrong she has 13 babies. i'm really worried because that might be too much for her to handle. and there were some tiny ones in the litter which makes me think they might not be able to survive. I dont have any other rabbit so that i could've fostered. i hope they all make it. here a picture i took couple hours after being born.
23vkck4.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 pm __________<br /><br />I'm little confused now.
The Father of this litter was a white New Zealand, and the mother is a Red New Zealand how come some look like they will be black ?

Latest posts

Back