Doe past due day 38-39

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that's a busy bunny! :p :bunnyhop:

I just had a doe kindle at day 34... she had 3 kits on the wire (which is a small litter for Cinnamons). One kit did make it so I was relieved I did save one, but totally bummed about my huge mistake. :( and I broke the cardinal rule :oops: ... I was SO CONVINCED she was NOT pregnant, I didn't put the nestbox in.

She has missed the last few times I bred her and I didn't feel anything on palpation and she showed no other signs of being due. I was already talking about how I was going to get rid of her and replace her with her last litter, because her last litter is almost of breeding age (it's been that long since she took). So definitely, I have learned my lesson the hard way.

They are so instinctive that they really don't need much from us most of the time. That's one of the reasons I love rabbits, they are pretty easy to care for. I also handle my kits from day 1 so I wouldn't be afraid to get in there to see what she's hidden so well. :)

**Update**

Sadly, since she had made the burro I have not seen her go back inside it. I'am wondering if she is just going in when no one is home or at night. This also might be that the kits are dead so she has no point in going back into the burro. Sad that it might be a bad end to this story, the only hope now is that in a few weeks kits will crawl out! At this point it is not looking likely... although she seems to like the corner where the burro is and lays in front of it...

I will post an update if anything good comes out of this...

Thank you ALL this was just a horrible first experience for me the doe is fine and acting normal

icebunny, rest your mind, there is nothing to worry about. You may think she burried them alive but that's not the case ;)

I have kits born in burrows in my pet rabbit colony and it seems as your doe is doing fine!

She is only doing what is natural, closing off the entrance of the burrow so predators can't locate it.
At feeding times, she will dig the entrance open, nurse the kits for 5 minutes and leave the burrow and close the entrance again.
I know it looks like she doesn't care but she does visit the kits 2x a day, often early in the morning and late in the evening.

They will pop out of the burrow eventually around the 3rd week but they will quickly go back inside if they hear a sound.
It will be VERY hard for you to catch them. By the time you walk up to the hutch and open the door, they are back inside the burrow.
Burrow rabbits are very skittish and tend to stay that way.

I had a doe kindle on day 42 once so dont give up.

Flash light and camera on broomstick is a good idea.

As is just leaving her be.

:popcorn:

Re-bred Doe hope this time is better! She made a burro so deep we could not see kits and have no sign of any live kits...they should have been out and about by now...

Not letting her dig a burro next time she has a nest box that she seems to like

Latest posts

Back