Doe past due day 38-39

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebunny

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

My doe is Past Due it is day 38-39 she is a part time hutch bunny and part time yard bunny. Well, she is acting pregnant but her hutch was moved due to work on the house, so I was thinking because it was moved she is late from this... She has a two story hutch with a nest area, also a nest box I had put in. Well, she has been going in and out of the nest box not using it as a toilet but it is empty...Since her hutch was moved it is on dirt now and I had closed the top off so she cant dig out. Now I am at the point where I am letting her dig a hole in the ground so she can have the kits without it going way past due! She started the hole that does not go out of the hutch and is working hard on it... I hope to see kits in the morning! She acts funny when I feel her belly and starts to lick everything and was getting agitated thumping last night for no reason... so I gave her Raspberry leaves to help with labor and pain, she is acting normal today.
What is the latest they can have live kits? I have heard they still have live kits on day 38. I had my husband feel for kits and he felt something kick at his finger last night. Ahg! I just feel as if this is taking to long and they will never arrive!
I am for sure going to wait on breeding again till the house is completely done being worked on.. Husband and his Projects it was suppose to be done 2 weeks ago and they still are not done...

I guess I will leave this for more experienced people but I never have does kindle past day 28-32
And usually by day 38 ish they are rebreed but if you feel something i would probably wait aswell:)
Hope all goes well
PS has she showed any signs of building a nest?

Most of my does kindle past day 32, this last batch came on time, finally. If you think she is still pregnant, breeding her will actually stimulate contractions.

Thank you,

Yes, she is making a burro in the ground now! She has always been more of a wild bun and very hardy she may have felt the nest box was inadequate for her...since she is use to be a part time yard bunny she still is completely tame and I can walk right up to her and pick her up .. but I did find her abandoned when she was a baby she is a mini rex blue eyed white. She even took in a 6 week old bun that we saved as her own made a nest of fur for it and raised it now its 8 months old. She has a strong instinct from what we have seen but this is just odd that she is holding them so long!

:shock:<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:20 am __________<br /><br />**UPDATE**

The burro she made is so deep I can barely see her inside it! She only started to make burros in the yard after she was bred, she never made them before. I guess she just is not a nest box type? Will update again Monday
Has anyone had a bunny like this?

If given the opportunity, most would prefer burrows. I put a doe I was going to cull (and I thought did not take) out into the growout pen. This was her first time ever outside, caged raised. Well, I noticed the huge hole in the ground, and that was my first cue she was pregnant (I did not palpate her). Just enough time for me to lock her in a crate to have the babies.

I've never had a doe go that long.
33-34 days is about the max I've had to deal with.
Usually it's an overly large one, two, or three kits.

Breed away from that situation.
Go with does that consistently kindle on time.
If it's a genetic factor...it could cause you problems down the road.

***Morning Update***

I walked outside and she had covered the burro with dirt. From what I know this is a sign that kits are inside...but I do not see any missing patches of hair on her? If they make a burro do they not line the nest with hair? uhg...

Yes, She only seemed to have one or two large kits in her belly from what was felt.

Should I wait to see if she goes back inside the burro before I dig it out to check for kits? How long should I wait to check for them? I just really do not want to scare her away from them!

Thank you ALL for the info!

Ditto on the checking. Also, one of my does always pulls juuuuuuuuust enough fur for the nest, but doesn't actually look like she pulled. It's like she doesn't focus on just one area when she does it, and spreads the harvesting around her entire body.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

***Update***

Okay, so the problem now is the burro is sooooo deep and has corners that I can not reach the very end! Ahhhg... she did put nesting material in it but I cant bend my arm to feel for anything... I even tried to put my phone in it to take pics... I was wearing gloves to help keep my smell out of it. Well, I am not sure I should go any further and maybe just let her figure it out and maybe I will see kits one day...

:? blag what a shamble!

Attachments

• burro.jpg
    burro.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 367
  • burro1.jpg
    burro1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 367
  • burro2.jpg
    burro2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 367
  • 2013-06-10 19.01.30.jpg
    2013-06-10 19.01.30.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 367
I would go in further. I also would not worry about smell but that's just me. I handle all my kits the day they are born and have NEVER had a problem. If there is a dead kit in there, pets could get in there and kill the other ones. Like maggots, ants, rats, etc etc. Not to mention disease.

Well, I should have said, I do not know how to reach the end of the burro goes under concrete so I cant dig it out...

I did have an idea to put a tape measure in to see how long it is... so I will do that later today! lol

If anyone can think of a way to get to the end and be able to see what is inside... Please Share with me your Ideas!

I really do think the only thing I can do is wait and watch to see if she goes back in...

Oh and the nest is within the hutch so nothing can get inside it.<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:24 pm __________<br /><br />Here is a pic where the hutch is in the dirt... she doesn't dig out of the hutch. The burro is covered and is directly behind her against the back of the hutch that is against concrete so she dug under it hence why I cant dig it out...

:dig-hole: :dig-hole: :dig-hole: :dig-hole:

Attachments

• bunbun in hutch.jpg
    bunbun in hutch.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 358

Latest posts

Back