Doe Not Pulling Fur...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a doe.... ( how many posts start like this ?) ... Who is on her second litter. The first one... she pulled absolutely no fur... That turned out ok because it was during the hottest week of our summer and all the kits survived. She has just kindled again... and again...no fur pulled. I mean not even One mouthful ! This time we might not have a happy ending, as i didn't find them right away...All in the nestbox...but no fur. I've brought them in to try and warm them a bit and see it there are any survivors. then i may put them with another doe's litter to try and save them.

What i really wonder about is... Will this tendency to Not pull fur be something that might be inherited And passed on ?? Could this be from some feed deficiency ?? I'm rather stumped right now as i've had does pull minimal fur... but never No fur 2x in a row. Suggestions appreciated. RR.

It sounds as though she still hasn't got all her maternal instincts developed. Most people give does three tries to get it right. You can substitute other materials for fur: dryer lint, teased cotton balls or batting, feathers from a pillow, even scraps of polar fleece. Giving them to another doe is another solution, of course, especially if only a couple survive.

It is sometimes possible to gently pluck fur from the doe's dewlap, chest and belly. It should come out quite easily at kindling time. Sometimes this will stimulate the doe to finish the job herself. If she is fairly docile, this might be worth a try.

Interesting thought went thru my mind... She was just over a year old when she had the first litter. Is it 'possible' that as does get a bit older when they have a first litter... they just might be low in the maternal hormone department ?? Younger does might catch on a bit quicker ?

I'm actually more concerned that her daughters from the first litter might also be lacking in the Taking Care of the Bunnie Department.

Anything is possible, but I've found that a doe that is fully mature when having her first litter is more likely to "get it" than a very young "teenage mom."

I've never heard of the "not pulling fur" being passed down... but I'm sure we'll be interested in hearing an update from you on this, down the road a little.

Latest posts

Back