Doe keeps peeing on her kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelleyBee

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Good day, all. I've got a seasoned doe who has all of a sudden started peeing on the kits in her nest. This is her 6th litter and she's never done this before. This is her first litter to this particular buck. The kits were born 2/10. Last week her nest was filled with droppings beyond what would be considered normal and the hay was urine soaked, but the kits were dry, untouched by it all. Still, I completely cleaned out the nest, rebuilt it and gave it back to her, but moved it onto the other side of her cage thinking the position of the nest near her Jfeeder might have been the problem. Then yesterday I went in to find her nest completely excrement and urine filled again and the kits were drenched. She peed on them so much the the dilutes actually looked chocolate. I pulled the nest again, dumped it entirely again, cleansed and warmed all the kits, rebuilt the nest, replaced the kits, but kept the nest in my basement overnight. I brought the nest to her this morning and she fed them all (there have not been any feeding issues at all) and with the 30 minutes I allowed the nest to be in with her, she peed on the kits again! I am trying to understand why she is doing this when she had never done this with her previous 5 litters. She's actually my most successful doe, in that she has only ever lost one kit, all litters combined. I'm baffled. Any suggestions?

I would look at the possibility of something scaring or stalking your rabbit living area. I had this happen a few years ago and it was a stray cat.
This is one of the thoughts I had, like she's camouflaging their smell. I have 2 other moms with same age litters in the same barn, one to her left, the other behind, no issues with those moms.

I agree with StonyCreekSilverFox. She is trying to protect them from something by peeing on them. Something is concerning her. I would shelf the nest box until they are two weeks and then try leaving the box back in her cage.
Yes, this is all what I was thinking. The doe next to her is lackadaisical regarding her kits, and the doe behind her is a first-time mom, so perhaps the other two does are not as concerned about whatever has this more experienced doe concerned.

I really doubt that it has anything to do with protecting the kits - would be completly counterproductive in a natural setting, although something upsetting her might indeed cause the change of behaviour. A wildlife camera is a very useful tool.

Anyway, they rather like an upright position to pee, but they don't need much headspace for caring for the nest - if it is a nestbox with partially or completly open top I would put a board over the nestbox just at a height so that she can't comfortably pee there.

I really doubt that it has anything to do with protecting the kits - would be completly counterproductive in a natural setting, although something upsetting her might indeed cause the change of behaviour. A wildlife camera is a very useful tool.

Anyway, they rather like an upright position to pee, but they don't need much headspace for caring for the nest - if it is a nestbox with partially or completly open top I would put a board over the nestbox just at a height so that she can't comfortably pee there.
I will try something like this if the behavior continues with her next litter. For now, I am just pulling the nestbox until they are old enough to have the nest turned in a few days.

Latest posts

Back