Doe has Kits early?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
Back in the middle-end of January (specifically the 22nd and 23rd) I bred three of my Does and they're not due until this Friday and Saturday

For the past two days one of the Does had been moving slowly and with her butt raised, and she hadn't been eating. About an hour ago when I came home I checked on her and she had two (dead) babies
First was a stillborn that didn't look formed quite right and the second was still in the membrane sack but recently I checked again and it's not alive either

Attachments

• IMG_20240219_160518202~2.jpg
    IMG_20240219_160518202~2.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240219_170928987~2.jpg
    IMG_20240219_170928987~2.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 0
Back in the middle-end of January (specifically the 22nd and 23rd) I bred three of my Does and they're not due until this Friday and Saturday

For the past two days one of the Does had been moving slowly and with her butt raised, and she hadn't been eating. About an hour ago when I came home I checked on her and she had two (dead) babies
First was a stillborn that didn't look formed quite right and the second was still in the membrane sack but recently I checked again and it's not alive either
I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Did the doe finish having her litter? Is she doing ok? How are your other does?

I have not experienced a litter coming early. I did have 3 very small kits from SJ's litter and 2 died. I felt they had not been fed. I have 2 does due the end of this week as well. Another next Monday. All 3 are first timers.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Did the doe finish having her litter? Is she doing ok? How are your other does?
I'm not sure, I'm assuming she is but she'll keep her nest box for another week (or longer). She seems to be doing fine now, the other two have been doing fine and one of them's already plucked some fur

No new Kits from her as of now. I think she's gone back to not eating any of her pellets
Hopefully, everything will be ok. How many kits do they usually have?

A friend's husband found one of their does recently had some kits on the wire. I think there was a possible save if they had known more about warming them up. However, the doe did not pull hair. Then later that afternoon she pulled hair. She asked me why, was she just off. I told her I thought she was not done. Flemish Giant breed. We have different kit raising methods. They simply left her alone after a quick check - after seeing a bit of movement from one kit in the hay. They never checked again. Yesterday,over 10 days later, she discovered there were 3 kits, not just the one. I would have wanted to know earlier how many, were they ok, any removals, etc... but that's me. So hopefully your rabbit has more or expels anything that needs to go if there is any.

Hopefully, everything will be ok. How many kits do they usually have?

A friend's husband found one of their does recently had some kits on the wire. I think there was a possible save if they had known more about warming them up. However, the doe did not pull hair. Then later that afternoon she pulled hair. She asked me why, was she just off. I told her I thought she was not done. Flemish Giant breed. We have different kit raising methods. They simply left her alone after a quick check - after seeing a bit of movement from one kit in the hay. They never checked again. Yesterday,over 10 days later, she discovered there were 3 kits, not just the one. I would have wanted to know earlier how many, were they ok, any removals, etc... but that's me. So hopefully your rabbit has more or expels anything that needs to go if there is any.
That's a nice story :D

She did eat brussel sprout leaves when I gave them yesterday. They really only have 1-4 Kits and I've never had a full litter of 4 where they all lived

1-4 kits? Is that for most of the mini breeds? small breeds?
It really depends on the breed and the genetic line.

Our Polish (under 3.5 lbs) regularly have 4-6 kits. The Mini Rex (up to 4.5 lbs) had 4-8 kits per litter. Netherland Dwarfs at 2.5lbs may have a lot less capacity but I've never raised those.

Yes, the smaller breeds normally have 1-4 kits. But I haven't seen 4 yet in the smaller breeds. LOL, the waiting game it sucks!
I'm pretty sure I've only had one have a little of four (she's my beloved retired old lady now) and 3/4 of them lived and I still have one of them

Latest posts

Back