Doe First litter at 2-3 years old

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebunny

Reaction score
HI All Rabbit Friends!

So I had some problems with the first litter that ended up being in a burro that I could not reach the end or see the end. Unfortunately she stopped entering the burro after day 3, guessing the kits if any passed away we had no way of telling.

Well we waited another 3 weeks then bred her again. This time she made a nest in the hutch 3 days ahead of time with enough fur to cover two rabbits! I peaked in and saw 2 little heads on 12/3/2013 with lots of movement in the nest!

Here in Las Vegas we have a cold front that just hit last night it is around 37 degrees. I put a towel over the window part of the hutch to keep the wind out of the top part of the hutch.
?? The kits are in shavings, card board, and her fur in a wood hutch is this warm enough for them?
I felt the temp of the nest and It was quite warm!

The doe is eating pellets, fresh veg, white willow for lactation and the birth.

So the doe is a BEW Rex on the small side but not a mini! The Buck she bred with is a New Zealand white. The kits are much bigger than I expected out of her being smaller. She has always been very mothering with my Dogs and the 3 week old doe I put with her 8 months ago she had pulled fur for and mother very well. So I chose to breed her even at an older age I have heard many people have no problems starting so late. So here is the proof!

Proud BIG litter of 5 in all 2 black with Vienna marks 3 pure white with no dead. They are much bigger in size than I thought!

Attachments

• bun bun1.jpg
    bun bun1.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 364
  • babies1.jpg
    babies1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 364
  • 2013-09-04 16.29.50.jpg
    2013-09-04 16.29.50.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 364
icebunny":1z6iiwbs said:
skysthelimit thank you! Well people seem to be stuck on rex mix so idk for sure

Lots of rabbits have that same body type. Rex have very short, plush fur, no facial trimming and curly whiskers, and almost never carry the BEW gene. Rex would would be shorter than the NZ fur, and smooth as velvet. Actually she looks like a French Angora short down, and could easily fit the picture of one of my clipped Angoras. If you breed back to momma, you might get the pleasant surprise of wooled buns.

HI All!! I Have a question!

After reading about genetics I wanted to see if I have this correct! The bew is a genetic white the New Zealand white buck is a genetic black? Due to the black and white kits? The Vienna gene is shown in the black kits having white face stripes. What if the white are bews? The buck carries a gene for this?

Sorry I just remember many people saying all I would get from this cross were rews that is obviously not correct. I do know that the rew is just a cover for its real color guessing black due to kits. normal x bew = vc + vm (is that correct)

If the whites are blue eyed then the buck carriers Vienna but it is more likey that doe carries REW and the babies are red eyed.

Its true that REW is a cover but BEW is also just a cover for a rabbits true genetic colour. It is likely that both the buck and doe are genetically blacks or at least carry this gene

I would have guessed you'd get chestnuts and blacks and chestnuts and blacks with Vienna marks from this pairing.

It is a big no no to introduce REW to BEW bloodlines so I would not have suspected the doe carried REW.

Dood I do remember reading some place that introducing the rew to a bew is okay as long as you know they do not carry chin in them that causes the ruby cast to the eye.

Yes, chinchilla, chocolate and shaded can all give a BEW rabbit an odd smutty or pink colour to the blue BUT a REW will as well and since there is no way to know if a REW rabbit is a chinchilla, chocolate or shaded it is best not to breed to the colour.

I got very lucky breeding my doe and buck!

This may explain why the kits turned out to be how they are!
1 black, 1 gray, 2 white, 1 white with black eye marks (Blanc de Hotot mix)

Will be keeping the Blanc de Hotot mix and breed to improve and keep this breed.

"The breed is known for its lustrous fur, an abundance of guard hairs that gives the fur a frosty white sheen, and the striking black eye bands, which should not be over an eighth of an inch wide. Rigid selection is necessary to assure the proper markings. The Blanc de Hotot is a large rabbit with bucks weighing 8 to 10 pounds and mature does 9 to 11 pounds. They are an active, hardy breed and are easily raised in all wire cages. They are fairly good mothers, have good-sized litters, and the young grow rather fast.
Though a recent import to the United States, the breed is globally endangered."

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/blancdehotot.html

Attachments

• week1.JPG
    week1.JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 269
Will be keeping the Blanc de Hotot mix and breed to improve and keep this breed.
Ummmm No, please don't.

One of the effects of breeding broken to Vienna's is you get these mostly white kits with eye rings of colour and these kits are not even remotely close to a Hotot

I find it rather alarming that you assume just because a rabbit looks like a certain breed it is that breed. Will you be selling your REW kits as New Zealand Whites even though they are mutts? Your vienna marked ones as Dutch?

A colour does not make a breed of rabbit - that would be like calling all Black and Tan dogs Dobermans even though there are Miniature Pinschers, Manchester Terriers, Coon Hounds, Rottweilers etc... that all come in the colour.

Crossing that kit into Hotot bloodlines will ruin the breed.

Latest posts

Back