Doe bred with no fall offs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJCRabbitry

Reaction score
Has anyone ever actually had this happen, or is it just a rumor? I have a Flemish doe that made a nest last week, and last night she pulled hair, and laid it in her nest, in a burrow, PERFECTLY. :eek:
She was with our buck, and we observed the whole time, and we never actually saw him fall off, but she seems to be doing everything too "right" for something to not be going on. Me being dumb, didn't mark it down, because he never fell off. Can it actually happen? Just a thought. Wanted to see if anyone else had this happen.

It's no rumor. In fact, just a day or two ago we had a new member tell of a litter she had result from a no-fall-off breeding. While a buck usually does fall off with a successful breeding, kits can result from what looks like an unsuccessful attempt.

It's just rabbits messing with our minds.

I'd give her a nestbox and carefully move her nest into it. :)

It could be a false pregnancy, but it's a lot safer to assume it's the real thing.

We gave her a nest box the other day, when we saw her start to nesting. She was pulling hay out of her hay rack, so we just gave her one to be safe.

whether you see a fall off or not.
If doing a breeding ALWAYS check the does vent for semen before you put her back. Just do it. It's easy, takes scare any time and then you know if it was successful or not.

I watched a duo briefly, the doe's rear was planted, she never lifted... he never fell. The other two on her left and right were obvious successes. When it came time, I put nest boxes in for the other two and thought all was well. I went to check on them a couple days later and notice her with a mouthful of hay. Out of the three, she actually had the most successful litter! Only one survivor between the other two that I was thankfully able to foster over to the doe that I thought was a bust :roll:

Yep, totally can happen.

This is true, and you can also have lots of fall of a and no pregnancy. I have a Buck that's quick on the trigger and will fall off 10-15 seconds after I put the doe with him, but he shoots it all over her tail and back. So I have the opposite problem, lol...

I lost an entire litter because I didn't observe a fall off, and assumed the breeding was not successful. In fact, I spent the next month after the initial attempt continuing to try and get her bred. Didn't mark the date, nor give her a nest box - kindled on the wire and lost the kits. It absolutely can happen

I did give her a nest box once we saw her making a nest. I figured the same thing, i'd hate to lose a litter by just being stupid. She's a Flemish Giant too, and I have a ton of people, mostly 4h kids, waiting for them. So, i'll sit by, wait and watch. She pulled hair the other night, and lined her burrow in her nest perfectly. Her sister, which I also own, did this when she wanted to be bred, but not this perfect, and she didn't spend near as much time with it. Maybe 10 minutes or so, and then went and did something else. I'd rather be safe than sorry. And like I said, I appreciate all the input. I hear it on Facebook from other "rabbit people" and some I find it hard to believe from. She made the nest in the box exactly a week ago, and two nights ago she pulled the hair. We shall see what happens. :)

Latest posts

Back