Doe bred to large buck on accident

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CochinBrahmaLover

Reaction score
Due to an escaping accident, Dolly, our 3ish lbs (can re weigh her) holland lop was bred to our 8-9ishlbs silver fox buck, Frank. I could see semen around her vent so yup pretty sure she's got franks babies.

Now, just a guess, but there's no way she could survive his litter, correct?
Given that, what should I feed her? Large amount of lavender? When? Should it be like ASAP or wait until the fetuses have grown a bit?

If you don't want to get a vet involved it might be safer to just let her try to have the litter. The female has a lot more say over the size of the offspring than the genetics of the male. She might even have them early so they are smaller. Then there's the odds she missed. Just because you see moisture around the vent doesn't mean it went in. If there's a lot of it then it may even mean he missed and spread it all around the outside. On the negative side Netherlands and Hollands have a lot more birthing problems than even other small breeds. I had a mini rex bred by a 9lb buck with no issue but mini rex don't regularly have birthing complications.

Anything strong enough to abort a litter risks killing the rabbit. That is the nature of herbal remedies. The stronger effect something has the higher risk of side effects it tends to have. I have some rue here that would do it and it's potential for such things is why I haven't killed it. I would not use it if I had any other better tested and measured option though and I even question the safety of having it growing in the yard. It's more of a if the country crashes and there is limited to no medical care I have an uncommon strong herbal treatment for certain things. It could become valuable or I could accidentally kill off something that eats a little of it....

As akane said, she may not even be pregnant. Reevaluate in two weeks. If she is.... I don't know. Causing her to abort might be more dangerous than letting her have the litter. I hope it all works out ok though.

akane":cjlnkqfn said:
The female has a lot more say over the size of the offspring than the genetics of the male.

:yeahthat:

We met some people a couple years ago that had an accidental litter between their Labrador and their Dachsund. She had the pups just fine. They kept two or three of them, and full grown they were about the same size as a Lab, but they had much shorter legs so were not nearly as tall.

I wouldn't worry too much about it- but I would try to be around in the days she is due to kindle in case she needs help.

This is a link on retained kits that you should read over just so you can be prepared:

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-br ... kits-help/

Ehh, it wasn't around her but just centered around the vent. That said, my buck is getting a bit older (I think he's nearly 4 now, nearly middle aged) so maybe his swimmers aren't swimming so much anymore lol.

Anyways, I always thought it was an issue with large bucks to small does. What's I've heard about every other species.

If she's not pregnant, how would I know? Summer is only so long and I really want some purebreds out of her.

You can gently palpate her in 2 weeks

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6nDqySZqTM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUfkkeQe_-4[/youtube]

It would also be safe to try and breed her in 2 weeks to the buck you actually WANT her bred to. If she's not already pregnant, you would be able to get a litter from the other buck.

I think it would be ok to go ahead and try to breed her now? People correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that some does will accept a buck even if they are already bred but this shouldn't affect the current litter if she is bred. Many breeders try to rebreed after a day or so and if the doe doesn't breed figure she is bred. I've never tried this but have read (mostly on facebook) about other breeders who do.

If you don't have a sure-fire way to tell which buck sired the litter, you may want to wait a week then try to breed her. Then at least you can go by delivery date. Be Sure to put in the nestbox according to the first breeding date just to be safe.

Back