Do you think this is a good spot? Ideas?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyhen

Reaction score
250653_10150266259411215_685566214_9486130_7608056_n.jpg

I'm planning to move the hutch over to this area later today. The buns are getting direct sunlight in on them from about 8am-10am (hutch currently faces East) and then as the sun rises, they are shaded by the roof until the hutch gets shade around 1pm. I took the above picture at 1:30pm. The trees are on the south side of the fence, so the area is shaded pretty well from the fence to about 3' out (more as you move to the left) by 10am this time of year. (The sun is more directly overhead in the winter.)

246752_10150266273706215_685566214_9486212_8141465_n.jpg

Right now, I just have the hutch with 2 holes. I can see us maybe expanding to 10ish holes in the next year and would want to keep them all together. Could I pull off hanging wire cages with a corrugated metal roof overhead to shade them in the morning hours and winter? The cages would be against the fence and face North.

I'm in central North Carolina and it does get quite warm here in the summer and we get a bit of snow in the winter, but not usually much accumulation for very long periods of time.

By having trees on the south side of the cages-- you have addressed some summer sunlight issues. How is the breeze situation in that area? You will want ventilation! Insulate the roof-- the heat will intensify under metal! Or use corrugated green fiberglass( white and clear build up heat, too) Have the 'roof extend maybe two feet beyond the cage fronts- the overhang will provide shade for a longer period of time, and help keep you from doing chores directly in the rain!

MaggieJ":3vymo1he said:
How is the shade in that location during the late afternoon - say 3-6 PM?

Fully shaded. The only time it may get direct sun during the summer is sunrise and the following hour or so. And that sunlight would hit the wood side of the hutch. It is full shade by noon or 1pm and stays that way the rest of the day. (trees to the west and south.)

We moved it. Discussed building an additional plywood roof to cover this hutch and any additional cages we may add.

Devon's Mom Lauren":1u3e9kgn said:
Nice fence, I wish we had one like that around our property!

Thanks! I demanded it when we bought the house! LOL Eventually I plan to put some actual flower beds in.

Latest posts

Back