Do you think my Rabbit is suitable for Show? :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayla@LWR

Reaction score
SOOOO I updated this post, I should had a while ago. But here is the photo I took of my rabbit earlier this evening. :bunnyhop:

I'll also add another picture I have of her :) P.S. The Clearer picture of her was taken during the summer/fall time.

Attachments

• Phthino Stance 1.jpg
    Phthino Stance 1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,474
  • 2a4ead_d69bbb89866943d1b0a93b25c01ae922.jpg_srz_551_322_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.jpg
    2a4ead_d69bbb89866943d1b0a93b25c01ae922.jpg_srz_551_322_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,455
Nobody will be able to tell you anything unless you post pictures of the whole rabbit, posed as well as possible and with good lighting.

LWR,
do you have a copy of "The Standard of Perfection?
That is the book that the Judges use when thy have a question
on judging/placement. You could just enter your Rabbit in the show
and get the Judges comments. Not every rabbit is a show quality Rabbit.
If it was easy, every Rabbit would be a Winner!
What breed is your Rabbit and where did you purchase it?
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

First, welcome to the forum!!! :) Secondly...yeah we can't tell anything without good photos of her correctly posed with good lighting. ;) It is well worth your money to buy the Standard of Perfection, as someone else said. :)

Kyle@theHeathertoft":1o4lmhsq said:
First, welcome to the forum!!! :) Secondly...yeah we can't tell anything without good photos of her correctly posed with good lighting. ;) It is well worth your money to buy the Standard of Perfection, as someone else said. :)
Got new photos up. It would be my first time showing. So I wanted other's opinions on what they thought of my bunbuns :) I'm not too sure what 'pose' she should be in for her body type.

__________ Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:20 pm __________

ottersatin":1o4lmhsq said:
LWR,
do you have a copy of "The Standard of Perfection?
That is the book that the Judges use when thy have a question
on judging/placement. You could just enter your Rabbit in the show
and get the Judges comments. Not every rabbit is a show quality Rabbit.
If it was easy, every Rabbit would be a Winner!
What breed is your Rabbit and where did you purchase it?
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Unfortunately I do not :( I'm new at this so I want to start off well before I breed my precious rabbits.<br /><br />__________ Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:22 pm __________<br /><br />
Pepperoni":1o4lmhsq said:
Nobody will be able to tell you anything unless you post pictures of the whole rabbit, posed as well as possible and with good lighting.

I think I got better photos if i need to get a better one I could always take her outside where the lighting is naturally great. :)

A "pose" is the position the judge in a show will put them in to correctly judge their conformation. :) Different breeds and different types of rabbits have a different ideal "show pose." I'm not familiar with Americans, though, so I googled it and got these two pictures:

220px-RabbitAmericanWhite.jpg

220px-RabbitAmericanBlue.jpg

American breeders here will be able to tell you if I'm right or not, but I think those rabbits are correctly posed. :) Put your doe on a flat surface that isn't slippery and try to make her look like that, then snap a photo and post it here! :D

The Wikipedia article on the breed describes the body shape: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_rabbit

Buying the ARBA's Standard of Perfection book would be a good investment, it's only $20 on the ARBA website and it is WELL worth every single cent!!! :) It has the point breakdown for each feature of each breed. I strongly recommend it!!! :D

I think the second rabbit is posed better. The first has the hind feet almost touching the elbows.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2une0f4p said:
A "pose" is the position the judge in a show will put them in to correctly judge their conformation. :) Different breeds and different types of rabbits have a different ideal "show pose." I'm not familiar with Americans, though, so I googled it and got these two pictures:

220px-RabbitAmericanWhite.jpg

220px-RabbitAmericanBlue.jpg

American breeders here will be able to tell you if I'm right or not, but I think those rabbits are correctly posed. :) Put your doe on a flat surface that isn't slippery and try to make her look like that, then snap a photo and post it here! :D

The Wikipedia article on the breed describes the body shape: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_rabbit

Buying the ARBA's Standard of Perfection book would be a good investment, it's only $20 on the ARBA website and it is WELL worth every single cent!!! :) It has the point breakdown for each feature of each breed. I strongly recommend it!!! :D

Thanks so much!! I'll get to it right now :)

I'm just wondering but is an American semi-arch, commercial, or compact body type?
A tip for posing, place the front paws to where they line up with the eyes and place the back paws to where the line up with the hip.
Her color isn't bad but it is hard to tell with the light.

Mandolin shape.
You cannot pose back toes under the hip!!!!
Back toe under the knee, front toes under the eye.
Check a rabbit skeleton and you will know why it's not possible.

So I got curious, just checked LeapingWolfRabbitry's forum profile thingy. Says "Last visited: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:36 am"...methinks she's no longer checking this thread...or this whole forum. :(

Secuono":2tjrirx3 said:
Mandolin shape.
You cannot pose back toes under the hip!!!!
Back toe under the knee, front toes under the eye.
Check a rabbit skeleton and you will know why it's not possible.

Sorry that's what I meant.
Mandolin is not one of the five body types. There is full arch, semi-arch, commercial, compact, and cylindrical. Americans are definitely not full arch or cylindrical

Mandolin is the same as semi-arch. Just like how different breeds of rabbits have different names for the same color, that's what happened to the shape name. I prefer saying mandolin than semi-arch, but meh.

philothea":2vmwmm4r said:
Got that American posed correctly yet?
yep. :) <br /><br /> __________ Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:18 pm __________ <br /><br />
Kyle@theHeathertoft":2vmwmm4r said:
So I got curious, just checked LeapingWolfRabbitry's forum profile thingy. Says "Last visited: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:36 am"...methinks she's no longer checking this thread...or this whole forum. :(

I'm back ^^ the post was updated.

Is it the 2nd picture that is the posing picture? Her back feet are way too far forward. The tips of the back toes should be directly under the kneecap and the tips of her front feet should be under her eyeballs, with her elbows on the table.

Do it the above way, hold her head on the table and take a photo directly at her side, rather than at an angle from near her shoulder. Then in the same pose take a birdseye shot. If she is older than 8 months, she should weigh around 11 pounds.

lonelyfarmgirl":1hnxv8uu said:
Is it the 2nd picture that is the posing picture? Her back feet are way too far forward. The tips of the back toes should be directly under the kneecap and the tips of her front feet should be under her eyeballs, with her elbows on the table.

Do it the above way, hold her head on the table and take a photo directly at her side, rather than at an angle from near her shoulder. Then in the same pose take a birdseye shot. If she is older than 8 months, she should weigh around 11 pounds.

Both are her and I'll try to do that. She is pregnant and moody so I'm pretty sure she won't appreciate me bothering her like that.

Back