Do you eat giblets like these?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We butchered three litters recently. Two had perfectly normal giblets, except that the kidneys are a good bit larger than we are used to. I'm assuming that this is because these are our first litters from our Californian buck, while all previous litters have been from smaller stock.

The third litter gave us a bunch of livers with reticulated patterns:

image.php

Some of the kidneys had reddish areas on them (still present after removing the membrane):

image.php

I had never thought of the little red areas on kidneys, and I know we've eaten kidneys that looked like that. But what about the reticulated livers? Nobody seems to know what causes it, except that it does have an association with rabbit hemorrhagic disease, which I don't have any evidence of here. These were seemingly healthy rabbits. Good appetites, good weights, etc.

were the livers fresh? how did you process? I've noticed the organs look different if the body sits a bit as a opposed to being processed right away. I would reckon if there aren't any spots then things are okay.

These were fresh. We process by using a pellet gun, then my daughter and I skin, and then send the rabbit in to my husband to clean. So including the time for the kicking to stop, they were dead ~15 minutes before the livers got pulled out.

:oops:

Unfortunately, I had put these into the refrigerator to ask, and then kept forgetting to ask. By the time I remembered, they had been in there long enough that even the best-looking giblets would have been quite suspect.

Because of my tardiness, I had to pitch them... but I have seen a couple of livers like these before, and figured I might again. So I thought I'd still ask for future reference, and for the benefit of other members. :)

Latest posts

Back