Do you count the day she's bred or not?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
When you are figuring the day to put in the nestbox and the day to kindle do you count the day she is bred or not? When I was figuring things manually I didn't include it. However, I just noticed that when using the calendar in global pedigree the breeding day is counted.

So, is there actually a correct way? How do you do it?

I've never figured the day she was bred and mine seemed to USUALLY go to 31 days this way....sometimes up to 34! I've only ever had a doe kindle earlier than 31 days a small handful of times...usually when there's a HUGE litter and gravity won over time. :p

Since I almost always breed them in the evening, it is best NOT to count that day. Afterall, it's only a few hours before the next full day starts and pregnancy doesn't occur instantly. On the other hand, if you breed early in the morning, I would count it because I'd rather see a nest box go in a day early, rather than risk a litter landing on the wire.

I just note the breeding date, then drop down four weeks on the calendar and make a note to put a nest box in for that doe. Then all of ours have actually kindled on the third day after that. All different times of day. I was surprised it's been so consistent. Have seen haystaching before the 4 week point but haven't put in the nestbox in and it usually lasts a few days and then stops until they have the box.

I do just like Rainey, if bred in morning. Once in awhile if a doe is stubborn and I have to breed in evening then I push it back a day. Not a biggie, almost always day 31-32 for me.

Latest posts

Back