Do you breed your Does back To Back?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-Man

Reaction score
This has come up on another thead.

How soon do you re-breed after a Doe has a Litter?
The ones of you that do it The time she has a litter--whats the plus/minus of doing this(other than more kits) health wise?

The ones that give them a break---how long of a break and why do you feel this is needed?

There are so many factors that go into deciding when you breed your does back. The main thing is her body condition... a large litter may really put stress on her and make her loose weight/condition - thus I'd wait longer to breed back. Whereas with a small litter I might do it quicker. Depends on the lines, some does CANT handle an intense breed back schedule.... some NEED it to avoid getting fat, cranky or sterile. Then there is your own schedule and goals.. do you have the time, resources and cage/freezer space to grow out another batch? Also depending on location, the time of the year might play a role... due to heat/cold one might have to breed intensely over the winter to compensate for a sterile summer. (or visa versa)

The pros to an intense breeding schedule is increased production! The cons are you will most likely wear your does out quicker and have to grow out replacements much more frequently.

I like a fast breed back since my does go on strike as soon as the light goes. I breed to get as many litters as I can in the summer since by mid September for sure my does clamp their butts to the ground and won't lift again till mid February if I'm lucky.

I breed back to back especially since when I give them a break they don't want to breed again. The reason I didn't breed back to back this time was because I culled one, another died and my main doe started to get mastitis so I wanted to give her a break.

It depends on the doe.

If the litter is small, like 5 kits, I will breed back if she is in good condition. If she has a large litter, 8 or more, I wait until weaned or longer depending on her body condition.

I had a first time doe with 10 kits and it really wiped her out so I waited 2 months to rebreed her and she had another bumper crop but I fostered 4 to another doe so she only had to feed 7 and she kept condition but I waited till they were weaned to breed again.

In the spring and fall, I breed one day after kindling. Summer and winter, I wait an extra week or two.

I think that question will vary as much as 'which food is best to feed?'. I had three does recently all weighed 5lb 5oz to 5lb 10oz, One had 5, another 7 and the other 8. All first time moms. The one with 5 still isn't ready and it's been 3 months, the one with 7 is almost ready, and the one with 8 is ready and I actually showed her when kits were 9 weeks old and she got 2nd to the doe that won BOV and BOSB. So it depends, that being said I don't have my does in heavy rotation and most get bred 2-3 times year. I bred for Convention and Nationals typically.

I have does that will take my handoff if they are not bred, does that will not breed if I don't breed them within 4 weeks of having a litter, and a few that will get really fat off of all of the extra food in the cage with her and the kits.

One problem is my Rex have at least 7 babies, and if I wean too soon, they will take quite some time to reach senior weight. For the litter I am raising for Convention, the doe will not be rebred until they are 8 weeks old, but she is really acting like a dog in heat, I have never gotten that much love from her before.

i breed back to back but give my does the summer off. so they are producing for me most of the year, except when it gets hot.

Same here, back to back in the fall/winter, summer off. I like to have the last litter out of the nest box by early May ... depending on how hot it gets ... some years, we are well into the 90s in April.

If they were in a colony they would breed as soon as they could. They stop themselves when they need to. They break themselves.

Like everyone has been saying, it really just depends on the doe.
I usually rebreed does 6-8 weeks after their litter is born. But it does depend. My Mini lops can handle back to back breedings with ease. After 4 litters in row they are still fat and sleek!
I have a few Jersey Wooly does I have to go easier on. After just one or two litters you can feel those hip bones, and coats are out of condition. So it just depends.

I do always give summers from about late May - early September off. The heat is hard on bunnies down here in Oklahoma.

Also I think generally the larger meat breeds can handle more breedings better small fancy breeds. That's just my experience. Our Mini lops and meat rabbits are in much better condition after raising a couple litters then our small Holland lops or Jersey woolies.

As for how long is to long.....I think I remember hearing somewhere that you should try and have 1-2 litters per year to keep does in good "working" condition, minimum.
I know of a few people who have given does long (8+ month) breaks and then had trouble getting them to breed again. You'd have to watch weight carefully, since being over weight will really lessen the chances of a doe taking.

We typically do a 4 week breed back. We wean kits at 5 weeks. That gives the doe 3 weeks without kits and allows me to work on their condition if necessary.

Back