Do rabbits stress eat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juci

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I’m so curious! My neighbors really like to shoot off fireworks on New Years and Fourth of July. My other animals hide and don’t really eat because of the stress, but I think the rabbits are eating way more on nights like these, or if anything else happens that stresses them out. Construction noises, night predators making noise, etc.

I try to keep their feeders full and usually feed twice a day. But on the fourth I ended up filling everyone up 3 times before I went to bed. They were devouring everything so fast and then still acting hungry.

Asking more out of curiosity than anything, but in hindsight maybe I should just make sure there’s plenty of hay on these occasions? I’ve heard of rabbits eating themselves to death on pellets for different reasons. I definitely want to avoid that.

I think you worry too much, I haven't ever seen any other animal that cares less about noise like fireworks. On New Years Eve mine are just happy that someone is up to give them fresh food and a treat, and when chopping wood or working with the chainsaw I need to lock them away because they keep sneaking up on me.
Step on a twig unexpectedly, that's when you see a reaction :D, I think they realise very quick that something loud and obvious isn't a danger.

Lots of hay never is a mistake, maybe they eat more just because they are awake. I would stick to their usual amount of pellets and right, plenty of hay is a good idea.

I think you worry too much, I haven't ever seen any other animal that cares less about noise like fireworks. On New Years Eve mine are just happy that someone is up to give them fresh food and a treat, and when chopping wood or working with the chainsaw I need to lock them away because they keep sneaking up on me.
Step on a twig unexpectedly, that's when you see a reaction :D, I think they realise very quick that something loud and obvious isn't a danger.

Lots of hay never is a mistake, maybe they eat more just because they are awake. I would stick to their usual amount of pellets and right, plenty of hay is a good idea.
Step on a twig, or crinkle a chip bag lol.
Yeah you're probably right, maybe it’s just being awake that makes them more active/eat more.

Please control pellet intake, fat rabbits are not happy bunnies at all. I have to control the intake of my neutered lionhead, I have found he will stress eat and every time he gains too much weight he is one very lethargic, non-loving bunny that he usually is.

Please control pellet intake, fat rabbits are not happy bunnies at all. I have to control the intake of my neutered lionhead, I have found he will stress eat and every time he gains too much weight he is one very lethargic, non-loving bunny that he usually is.
My rabbits aren’t fat at all. They’re very healthy and consistent in their weight and eating habits. I’ve only noticed the increase in eating on the occasion when something stressful is going on like fireworks.

A lot of animals are stressed by fireworks, sudden loud noises. I try to put on a radio, turn it up a bit around the 4th and New Year. I often have a radio on during the day and when there is a bad storm. They get used to other sounds than just me yacking at them.

My rabbits do not "stress eat". But they will boredom eat. As @Cotton Rabbitry says, neutered or non-breeding adult rabbits in confinement will absolutely overeat and gain weight. If your rabbit is not growing then pellets must be rationed, but if they are "working" rabbits (breeding/lactating does, growing young) free choice pellets can certainly work.

A lot of animals are stressed by fireworks, sudden loud noises. I try to put on a radio, turn it up a bit around the 4th and New Year. I often have a radio on during the day and when there is a bad storm. They get used to other sounds than just me yacking at them.
That is really smart!

I put a chicken pen next to my bucks and I’ve noticed they’re less sensitive to noise than they used to be. I guess that’s what constant clucking does, similar to radio maybe. 😊

I’m so curious! My neighbors really like to shoot off fireworks on New Years and Fourth of July. My other animals hide and don’t really eat because of the stress, but I think the rabbits are eating way more on nights like these, or if anything else happens that stresses them out. Construction noises, night predators making noise, etc.

I try to keep their feeders full and usually feed twice a day. But on the fourth I ended up filling everyone up 3 times before I went to bed. They were devouring everything so fast and then still acting hungry.

Asking more out of curiosity than anything, but in hindsight maybe I should just make sure there’s plenty of hay on these occasions? I’ve heard of rabbits eating themselves to death on pellets for different reasons. I definitely want to avoid that.
I free-feed my buck b/c he never eats much for pellets anyway, and also all they can eat for lactating does & grow-outs.

Otherwise, The rule of thumb I've seen here is a cup of pellets per day, per adult, plus hay as desired. I feed them twice a day.

In the growing season, they all also get lots of nice, crunchy thistles & other weeds. They often ignore the pellets and devour the salads. And... hubby very helpfully points out patches of thistles I may not have noticed. 😏

Latest posts

Back