Do kits grow out of pinched hips?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whipple

Reaction score
I'm guessing not, but a litter we planned in keeping, well their back feet all like to face out. And one was quite bad. I'm hoping, since the parents seemed good, but I'm not keeping it in my breeding program if they won't outgrow it.

I have Cali kits that had V feet when they were under 8wks, feet are parallel now at 15 or so weeks.

Well that's interesting, but usually they do not get any better. You just have to know your lines. If it's ugly here, it stays ugly.

It is my opinion that:
kits are made in the nestbox.
Any rabbit showing faults of any kind
will most likely be culled.
There are always exceptions to every rule.
Strive to always err in your favor.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

They're only 4 weeks. This is the first ive seen them. They are unfortunately the only offspring of their father. So hoping they grow out of it.

I stuck it out with a rabbit that I really believed from the day he was weaned would be the worst one of the bunch, and I did so because he had rock solid flesh. The first show I took him to was a triple show in TN, and each judge that day placed him dead last in his class. The most common knock was that he was pinched in the hindquarters, and nobody seemed to like him. That show happened when he was just short of 4 months of age, and the funny thing was, he developed into the best rabbit in the litter. He routinely beat his sibs at every show from about 5 months of age on, and today is one of the main herd bucks for a breeder in IL. He also grew to about 10.5 lbs.

I still wish I had hung onto old Y2J.

SatinsRule":2lalenjp said:
I stuck it out with a rabbit that I really believed from the day he was weaned would be the worst one of the bunch, and I did so because he had rock solid flesh. The first show I took him to was a triple show in TN, and each judge that day placed him dead last in his class. The most common knock was that he was pinched in the hindquarters, and nobody seemed to like him. That show happened when he was just short of 4 months of age, and the funny thing was, he developed into the best rabbit in the litter. He routinely beat his sibs at every show from about 5 months of age on, and today is one of the main herd bucks for a breeder in IL. He also grew to about 10.5 lbs.

See, that's why you have to know your lines. Two things in my herd I always cull for, pinched hips and low shoulder. For me those never get better. But the Rex fur goes in stages, so I don't cull for fur texture till sr coat, and sometimes if type is good I have still kept that animal.

skysthelimit":31upzpyj said:
SatinsRule":31upzpyj said:

See, that's why you have to know your lines. Two things in my herd I always cull for, pinched hips and low shoulder. For me those never get better. But the Rex fur goes in stages, so I don't cull for fur texture till sr coat, and sometimes if type is good I have still kept that animal.

Sky, that is just the point. In nearly any other satin breeders' barns, Y2J would have been culled without having ever seen a show date. From a body type standpoint, there was nothing about him that was ever going to impress anyone (narrow shoulders which started late on the top, pinched HQ's), at least not until he reached about 5 months of age, then the tables turned rather quickly.

At four weeks, I'd give your babies time. I've had some that look like they are going to be pinched, then I tickle their belly, and they hike them close to their belly and they are straight. So far, it's been a good indication that they are going to grow out of it. By 8-10 weeks for me, if I'm not getting the desirable hindquarter, I'll cull it out. Like people mention on here, it comes from knowing your line. I know what to expect from mine at this point unless I'm using a new buck or doe, but they usually have all branched from the same tree.

Latest posts

Back