Do I need to be concerned?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 bun-owner

Reaction score
Just went to check on my doe and as I was petting
Her I came across her fur being crusty on her side . So
I flipped her and looked at her back side and her
Tail was all wet. Her glands looked ok no crust
Or anything. Should I be concerned?

Also looked at her vent and good lord
That thing was flamming red. Could that be cause she's due
Here in a few days?

Anyways, did clean her tail off with a uncented
Baby wipe and a paper towel.

A flaming red vent does not indicate a pregnant doe to me. It indicates a doe ready to breed. I hope she has babies for you.

As far as the wet, could have been anything. Splashed in her water bowl. Sat in pee. Who knows? I have several that feel "crusty" on their sides right now. It's because they are molting. Don't know if that is what yours is, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Don't think she's molting.

I knew the redness of the vent meant she
Was ready to be bred but didn't know
If that was a "sign" that she could be delivering
Soon. Ir if it was just meant that she was ready to
To find a buck.

Hmm.

If I understand you right, she was bred?

Usually, if I pick up a doe that was bred, and she's swollen and deep reddish purple, I breed her again, that's a sign she didn't take.

It's not swollen nor purple . Just really
Red. We will see if she took not.<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:26 pm __________<br /><br />I didn't breed her she was bred when I got her.

Ok so she's bred.

I have not noticed any change in color before kindling. That's what it looks like right before she turns purple.

The most engorged and colorful vulva I have ever seen was on a maiden doe that I thought had missed and was checking to see if she was ready to be rebred. She was so enlarged that I thought something was drastically wrong with her or she had just delivered an oversized kit and was damaged in some way.

I left the nest with her just to be safe, and that afternoon she kindled nine kits.

MamaSheepdog":1loo7tsy said:
The most engorged and colorful vulva I have ever seen was on a maiden doe that I thought had missed and was checking to see if she was ready to be rebred. She was so enlarged that I thought something was drastically wrong with her or she had just delivered an oversized kit and was damaged in some way.

I left the nest with her just to be safe, and that afternoon she kindled nine kits.

See, that's what I was asking if maybe
The red vent ment she was going to kindle
Soon.

I did palpate ( which I'm not good at) and didn't
Feel anything but that doesn't confirm anything
Either unless you actually feel the kit kick or something.
So maybe she will kindle....we will see.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell if a doe is close to kindling by color etc. I thought about looking since my does are on day 32 (and no kits) but I figured I am bugging them enough by checking on them. Has anyone had sucess with checking color when does are due?

mountainrabbits":2j85hq6y said:
I was just wondering if anyone could tell if a doe is close to kindling by color etc. I thought about looking since my does are on day 32 (and no kits) but I figured I am bugging them enough by checking on them. Has anyone had sucess with checking color when does are due?

Dont know if it was luck or what it was but I went and checked on my doe
and her vent was hot red and thought maybe it has something to do with the
due date. Checked a day before she kindled and she was purple and really swollan.
My doe was 33 when she kindled. They can go till day 40 to say the doe
missed.

people say that the vent color deturmns if they are ready to
breed or not. More red and swollan the better the chances. I think
when the vent is purple they are on the "last chance" sorrta speak.

Hope this anwswers your question.

Hope you see kits soon. :)

Latest posts

Back