Do French Lops make good pets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really want to get a French Lop. I found a breeder in Fallon, NV, which is near where I live. I really want one, but I want to make sure what I'm reading online is true. Do they make good pets? And which gender is best to get? :bunnyhop:

I have heard that they are very sweet. I recently ran into a breeder near me and they said their french lops were absolute sweethearts. As for male or female, my two sweetest rabbits are bucks. They get so happy when anyone comes near them. One makes this buzzing sound. Both stand up against the side of the cage waiting to be picked up. They love attention so much that when I fill their bowls up, they mostly ignore it until I leave. My 3rd sweetest rabbit is a doe, she doesn't put on a show like the boys but she is a sweetheart. Although they are not french lops, they are all 3 lops.
The downside of bucks would be spraying. One of the two I mentioned sprays.

A friend of mine has French Lops in a huge colony. They all get along and are very sweet and mob us for affection when we visit.

I'd totally recommend them as a pet bunny.

I believe that the Right rabbit of any breed would make a wonderful pet !!

Long ago my DD raised French Lops. We sold one doe to a young man as a pet. She went on to become the School Mascot and attended every soccer game they had .. wearing a harness and on a leash. She luved the attention and the entire school enjoyed her ! :)

One thing to consider about French Lops though is their size. I'm not sure what the average size is but I'm guessing 10lbs or more. I know the ARBA lists them as no maximum weight.

Latest posts

Back