Do all bucks "faint" after a completed breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl9768

Reaction score
I've been trying to breed my two rabbits. It is both their first times. I am used to the male mounting, then rolling of the side with a grunt with the other buck I used to own.
Well my doe FINALY got "in the mood" today and allowed him to mount. This happened 4 or 5 times but he never rolled off. Two times he might have slipped to the side a little but it wasn't anything like the typical tuck and role I might have even been imagining it haha. Could he just not “faint" or is he not getting her?
I don't want to keep putting her in with him if there is the chance that she might have been bred by him and may get pregnant twice. She is getting to almost be almost a year old (9 and a half months) so I need to get her bred before her hip fuse (so I’ve been told) so if she hasn’t been bred I’d like to keep trying what do you think?

First: Hips fusing is an old wives tail ;) Not true! The only thing that happens to does is that she develops fat around her ovaries.

Second: The lastest I breed is up to 3 days, afterwards, I just wait out the pregnancy.

I'd try them again tomorrow and keep your eyes on the doe's tail. Typically the doe will raise her hindquarters slightly and move her tail out of the way to allow him access. It sounds to me from your description that he may not have been able to complete the act. I've heard people say that not all bucks "fall off" but all the ones I've seen have.

Mine "tuck and roll". :) I would say he is missing.

cowgirl9768":3a5o7x6v said:
I need to get her bred before her hip fuse (so I’ve been told)

Her pelvis will not fuse. That is a myth. The ligaments and uterus do lose elasticity as part of the aging process, but she is a long way from having any issues.

You may have difficulty getting her pregnant if there is a lot of fat in her abdominal cavity, but the birth itself should go smoothly.

Lol... late to the game, again! Peach and MaggieJ beat me to the post.

Don't feel bad cowgirl, I was told the same thing about the fusing too. Saw it in writing too, copied it, but can't obtain it now. It was in the computer that was attacked and crashed.

Your avatar looks like you have lionheads. Before I put Neville and Luna together (both DM lion heads), I trimmed the hair down there on both to give better access. Neville "tucked and rolled" with a squeak at the very end.

Also I read that in 14 days, you should put your doe and buck together. If she wants no part of him, then she's bred. But I'll wait until 31 to 36 days to see.

Karen

I tried breeding Tornado yesterday (he's only done a few breedings. still very new at it)....he over mounted twice and when the big moment came (misses) he literally fell of..the table. Just rocketed off. I kept trying to catch him but he was just out of reach! He does not like to be touched while doing the deed so hanging on is a no,noLOL I like to just put them out in pens now for breeding just cause I've had a lot of success with breeding that way and it's easier to pull them apart if I need to.

36 days? Do any of them go that long? I left my doe with the breeder 3 days. and gave her a birthing box at 28 days from the initial encounter. She ignored it a couple of days, then started sleeping in it, but no fur pulling has occurred, nor babies appeared. If she "took" on the last day before I collected her, day 31 would have been yesterday. Should I wait another 5 days before putting her back into a normal cage (besides the box, this one has hardware cloth around the lower 4 inches of wall)? This will be her second "not really" if she isn't pregnant, and I'd like to try my 6 month old buck with her, in case it's the breeder's bucks being bored or over-used.

dragonladyleanne":280fy1m7 said:
36 days? Do any of them go that long? I left my doe with the breeder 3 days. and gave her a birthing box at 28 days from the initial encounter. She ignored it a couple of days, then started sleeping in it, but no fur pulling has occurred, nor babies appeared. If she "took" on the last day before I collected her, day 31 would have been yesterday. Should I wait another 5 days before putting her back into a normal cage (besides the box, this one has hardware cloth around the lower 4 inches of wall)? This will be her second "not really" if she isn't pregnant, and I'd like to try my 6 month old buck with her, in case it's the breeder's bucks being bored or over-used.

With everything I've read from breeders, a doe can go that long. I'd wait another 5 days, just in case. Then give that 6 month old buck a chance with her. But fingers crossed that she just holds on to her kits a bit longer than 31 days and you will see sweet kits before 36 days.

Karen

I've had a doe kindle on the 36th day. She was holding those two little suckers forever! They were big kits. I bred her earlier than my other doe,assuming she will be late again, so they can hopefully kindle on the same day.

My little buck bred my doe and never fell off and she never really lifted lol. so i really didn't think she took but she did! She is due the 19th.

Mine's go 34 to 35 days on average all of the time. I am starting to thing 31 days is the myth.

I had two bucks, that looked like they just fell asleep, on top of the doe. Will find out in about 30 - 35 days.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:37 pm __________<br /><br />a 3rd buck, a mini rex, acted like he had gotten a shock. Popped off, up, and back - almost did a complete back flip! Did it three times in a row, so I guess he believed it was worth it. rofl

Piper":16x12f50 said:
I had two bucks, that looked like they just fell asleep, on top of the doe. Will find out in about 30 - 35 days.

__________ Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:37 pm __________

a 3rd buck, a mini rex, acted like he had gotten a shock. Popped off, up, and back - almost did a complete back flip! Did it three times in a row, so I guess he believed it was worth it. rofl

Fingers crossed for you. As all rabbits are individuals, like kindling periods with does, bucks have their individual ways of celebrating the event. I though Neville's squeak and topple over was hilarious. I'm hoping to see babies too from that laughable event.

Peach, I have to agree with you on the x-pen idea (something other than cages). I found that the x-pen I used for Neville and Luna, I could be there if something should happen. Had to pull Luna off Neville because she mounted him first. Then Neville mounted Luna's head. Removed him with no problems. He got it right after that. After two falls, Luna did start thumping. She had enough. I was right there to interact. It really went well for all of us. I would recommend this for any newbie breeder.

Karen

MamaSheepdog":3l94q89l said:
Her pelvis will not fuse. That is a myth. The ligaments and uterus do lose elasticity as part of the aging process, but she is a long way from having any issues.

You may have difficulty getting her pregnant if there is a lot of fat in her abdominal cavity, but the birth itself should go smoothly.

Lol... late to the game, again! Peach and MaggieJ beat me to the post.
Wait what? I freaked out a while ago because I'd thought my 3 year old girly had gotten preggers for the first time and all the information I read made it sound like she needed to be spayed ASAP or else she'd die... Lousy pet websites! :evil:
So if she was bred, say, by accident - it wouldn't exactly be a death sentence? Or would something else about it probably kill her? lol '>__>

Nyctra":ryljngub said:
all the information I read made it sound like she needed to be spayed ASAP or else she'd die... Lousy pet websites! :evil:

GASP! Pet websites!?! :nono: Tsk tsk. I guess your panic attack will be sufficient punishment for straying from RT for rabbit info...

Nyctra":ryljngub said:
So if she was bred, it wouldn't exactly be a death sentence?

Her instincts may not be very good at first, but the delivery itself should go just fine.

MamaSheepdog":2imlg12k said:
Nyctra":2imlg12k said:
all the information I read made it sound like she needed to be spayed ASAP or else she'd die... Lousy pet websites! :evil:

GASP! Pet websites!?! :nono: Tsk tsk. I guess your panic attack will be sufficient punishment for straying from RT for rabbit info...

Nyctra":2imlg12k said:
So if she was bred, it wouldn't exactly be a death sentence?

Her instincts may not be very good at first, but the delivery itself should go just fine.

Shame on me for not coming here first! :lol:
Well this is tempting...I've been wondering what colors I'd get from her... haahhh shame on me again. >_>

Nyctra":1anikdvi said:
Well this is tempting...I've been wondering what colors I'd get from her... haahhh shame on me again. >_>
:twisted: :camera:

Latest posts

Back