Do 🐰 Rabbits 🐰 Get Fleas? 🐜🐜🐜

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
I keep wanting to put the rabbits in tractors so they can have a bit more fun. (Harvey, the buck, LOVES to escape, he actually 'frolics' when he gets into the yard) 🐰

Are fleas a problem? The fleas are horrible here, and I would hate to start a problem, since at this point my rabbits have no fleas.

Thanks for any info/advice :)

Liz

yes, rabbits can get fleas. Being on the ground they can pick up all sorts of parasites, internal and external.
Well actually I figured they could get fleas. But, are they a problem? Do they get rid of them by themselves? Eat them or kill them? Eating them could cause different parasite problems to arise. Or, maybe they aren't attractive to fleas? Some parasites are species specific. . ..

I know fleas and ticks are terrible. I hate them. Most Sprays I have found are toxic and harmful to rabbits (MY RABBITS DO NOT HAVE FLEAS) I’m just saying. But what I have found is that by spraying essential oils (Any scent) the fleas don’t like so they go away also they hate eucalyptus, and I’m very fortunate to have a huge eucalyptus tree way bigger then our house behind our house so they repel:) however I probably wouldn’t ever let my rabbits live on grass 24/7. I take mine out occasionally and monitor them.

I treat our yard with powder yard lime (spread in the yard) and then hose the yard down. I found thia as an effective way to treat the environment. Growing up we lived in a heavily wooded area (lots of squirrels, deer and other critters) rabbit and guinea pig used to go out in the yard durring the day.... but i dont remember long after we limed the yard we kept them off of it. I was pretty small.

If I were going to tractor rabbits, it would be only the growouts destined for the freezer. They are what I consider “temporary residents” in my rabbitry, and once on the ground would never be allowed back inside my rabbitry. Growouts whom I think should be offered to sell or kept to replace a breeder (considered “permanent or long term residents”) due to desired genetics, would never touch the ground. Additionally, for the protection of my breeding herd, I refuse to purchase any rabbit that has been tractored on the ground.

Important to note: To date, I have not tractored any of my rabbits, growouts or otherwise. However, once I have had the opportunity to conduct much research, I might seriously consider doing so with freezer destined growouts while implementing the boundaries described above. What I still need to ascertain is the risk to the safety and quality of the meat from tractored rabbits, since quality meat production is my highest priority.

I know that Only Natural Pet has natural flea and tick repellents for dogs and cats, but I don't know if any of those would work for rabbits. I guess it would be good to find out! They have a variety of repellents that are fairly easy to put on.

I personally don’t tractor but food grade diatomaceous earth is the bomb for getting rid of pests and parasites. I use it on dogs and chickens and in my home without issue.

Back