DIY Treats

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After looking through several threads and forum categories, I didn't see anything like this. Do any of you amazing RT people make your own treats? I've been scouring Pintrest and Google trying to find one that is fairly balanced but doesn't include pellets. :roll:

1) I have no pellets on hand as my buns are fed fodder/greens and hay
2) Even if I had pellets; I think getting them on a regular basis and in a treat would be too much for a bun's system
3) 99.9% of the commercially available rabbit treats in my area are harmful to the rabbits (dyes, corn, dairy etc), the .01% that is alright for rabbits are astonishingly expensive

I understand that giving them fruit, honey, and other high sugar items needs to be done sparingly, but also at the same point I would like something that can be given on a semi-regular basis and not do any damage. I was thinking of having two separate types of treats, one that acted as a monthly parasite deterrent (pumpkin would be the main ingredient) and the other that could be given more regularly

Please let me know.

Try some of the meat free homemade dog biscuit recipes. They aren't actually good for dogs but people feel the need to cook something simple for all their pets so there are often grain based, baked dog treats. I just use horse biscuits. You can buy them in large bags for cheap. For a little more you can get ones with different supplements added and break them to rabbit size. I also use some of the bulk horse supplement products like electrolytes and giant tubs of ground flax to mix up a loose supplement I put a little scoop of in a crock. I replace the vegetable oil in all pet recipes with horse coat supplement oil that is flax, sunflower, and soy.

baefull.wolfbunnies":13ge4iu2 said:
After looking through several threads and forum categories, I didn't see anything like this.

You need to try our handy dandy search function. ;) I put in "Rabbit Cookies" and got the results linked below. The first one is mine. :)

rabbit-cookie-recipe-version-1-0-t10975.html

post116867.html

post241740.html

post121286.html

This one has pellets, but you could just substitute something else:

post236069.html

akane":13ge4iu2 said:
Try some of the meat free homemade dog biscuit recipes.

I looked up homemade horse treats as a template for mine.

akane":13ge4iu2 said:
I just use horse biscuits. You can buy them in large bags for cheap.

That's an option too. I have fed my rabbits the Manna Pro treats and Dobbin's Delights- both are available at TSC.

MamaSheepdog":a92pwsyg said:
You need to try our handy dandy search function. ;) I put in "Rabbit Cookies"

:lol: I didn't think to look up Rabbit Cookies, I tried looking up Treat or treats or diy food.

akane":a92pwsyg said:
I just use horse biscuits. You can buy them in large bags for cheap. For a little more you can get ones with different supplements added and break them to rabbit size.

Are they healthy for the bun's?

cowgirl9768":a92pwsyg said:

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back