disinfecting cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of tend to be a bit "overkill", so I would hit them with all kinds of things;

10% bleach solution, rubbing alcohol applied as a mist, steam cleaner filled with vinegar, maybe even Betadine scrub.

If the cages have been sitting empty for a few months I wouldn't be as aggressive with trying to disinfect them.

Just for regular cleaning after you have your rabbits in there I would do the bleach water solution. As an initial cleaning though I would side with MSD and be a bit overkill as you never know what was in there, (disease wise.)

A new coat of paint would be nice. I would go with an enamel paint which will be easy to clean. Paint containing lead has been banned for a very long time, so I would not worry about toxicity.

I clean my wood hutches by,spraying them down with a bleach solution. inside and out. I let it set for 10 to 15 mins. then I rinse with a power washer. this will blow all of the stuck on gunk off of the wire and wood. I respray with the bleach solution
and allow them to sit in the sun to dry.
if they they need paint I paint them with enamel bath room paint. I will also paint the floor wire with rustolium spray paint. to cover any surface rust.

CWD,

bleach dries to a salt and will rust the wire. It is a good idea to rinse well with water to prevent that. Vinegar needs to be rinsed as well because it is acidic and will damage the galvanization. I use alcohol as a final disinfection step. As far as I know it leaves no damaging residue.

I wish I had a power washer. *Sniff!*

Bright sun does a good job, so does simple green, like others have said, bleach has to be washed off.
Vinigar eats the zinc in the Galv

MSD thank you for telling me about bleach turning to salt. I will do a finial rinse with plain water from now on.
I need to check into the cold Galvanizing spray. I have though about simple green, but we always have bleach around the house.

If you look at Harbor freight tools, you should be able to find a small power washer like mine for about $60.00
I got mine a few years ago. I love it. 1001 uses around the house.

CWD":1qezl69z said:
MSD thank you for telling me about bleach turning to salt.

You're welcome. :) Cage wire is like gold around here, as yours is too, I bet. You want it to last as long as possible!

CWD":1qezl69z said:
If you look at Harbor freight tools, you should be able to find a small power washer like mine for about $60.00

Oooh! That is where I got my steam cleaner too, for about the same price. :p We don't buy much from there because a lot of their tools are just Chinese junk, but sometimes you can find a good deal... and my steam cleaner has held up well so far.

HA, I got some crap that makes cold galv look like PAM.. (the cooking spray)
my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, had oil field seconds, including ocean pipeline coatings...
3 part Epoxy with ZINC POWDER, yeah... not bad for $5 a set (1gal paint can of 20# powder, 1 pint can of catalyst, and 1 gal of epoxy base)

Thankful I read this thread because I spray everything with vinegar- didn't know it is bad for metal.
I just read a home beer brewery site and they list some sanitizers they use for brewing equipment that don't need to be rinsed off - so must not be toxic. One was called Star San, and the other was Iodophor. Might be worth investigating.

squidpop":ejnj568a said:
the other was Iodophor. Might be worth investigating.

From what I've read, that is about the same as using Vanodine. I was going to order some. I like to spray everything with vinegar too, I can't stand the smell of bleach, and since the cages are all connected, it's really hard to take them apart and out of the barn to disinfect. I do prefer vinegar, but seeing that the chin doe got whatever the mini Rex had from six months ago through the frigid winter, I'm going to have to find something else.

I just looked it up and got this ad--- evaporates and leaves no residue - I think that sounds really good. Vanadine sounds good too, but I can't find any in New Zealand.
Iodophor Sanitiser

Iodophor is used by brewers to sanitise equipment and bottles. Its major advantage over other sanitisers is that it evaporates directly from solution to gas, and hence leaves no residues.

Use 1ml per litre of water, and only needs to be in contact with your equipment for 1-2 mins.

Usually available in 100ml and 500ml bottles.

Caution: treat with care and avoid skin contact.

You may also be interested in IO Star, a low foaming iodophor sanitiser.<br /><br />__________ Thu May 02, 2013 4:56 am __________<br /><br />If I where in the U.S. I would get Vanodine- The Three Little Ladies Rabbitry wrote an article called Vanodine Myth or Miracle— and concluded that it was a miracle.

http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/vanodine.php

Latest posts

Back