Disenfecting cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMeal

Reaction score
What is the best way to disinfect a cage? What do you use and how often? Does anyone clean a cage before a new litter comes out of the nest?

There are non toxic iodine based sanitizers they use for brewing equipment and cheese making that don't need to be rinsed off- and kill bacteria. In New Zealand I found one called Star San, and another was Iodophor. Maybe find some of that and use vinegar to wash- cause it desolves pee, and spray and leave the iodine based sanitizers on.

I have all-wire pens. I have a long-handled scrub brush I use on the pens to clean any droppings caught on the wire. Have a spray bottle with plain water in it to add moisture when needed. About once a year, I remove the pen from the bunny barn and spray it down with vinegar. Let it soak for a bit and scrub it down real good, then rinse off with a power washer. Then let it set out in the sun for a day or two.

I've heard of some folks that will spray with rubbing alcohol when they need to kill germs but can't really remove and scrub out the pen. I'm thinking of trying that whenever I move one rabbit out and a different rabbit in.

Thanks OwnedByTheBuns and SuburbanHomesteader for the cleaning tips using vinegar. Thanks Squidpop that's good information on the brewery cleaning equipment.

I have sprayed with bleach solution and rinsed thoroughly after 10 minutes.

I have scrubbed with Pine Sol solution, rinsed, and then done the bleach thing.

I have torched the cage. You have to be careful, keep the torch moving, so you don't damage welds or galvanizing.

I usually scrub the cages with a brush, then bleach them, and then torch them. I haven't had any illness issues happen in my herd. If you can keep the dropping pans and cages as clean as possible then this makes the job easier.

I've found this post helpful too! I think I will try vinegar/bleach/salt/hot water mixture to disenfect.

I'll be cleaning a cage that housed a rabbit with snuffles. Think this solution is the best? Or should I just use a spray bottle with straight bleach and then wash it off with a hose?

THANKS!

Latest posts

Back