Disaster averted!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnClaire

Reaction score
OMG, it warmed up a bit today and at noon, I noticed my Satin doe in her nest box ... an hour later, I went out and checked and sure enough, there was fur in the back of the nestbox and pink showing through. I decided I was going to leave them for another hour or so as it had warmed nicely, even though I thought the nest looked sort of sparse.

Well, something came up and I left without bringing the nestbox inside. When I got back home at 4:30, the temps had plummeted even with the sun still out.

I rushed in, through the house and out to find the nest feeling really cold inside. I grabbed it and raced inside where I found the smallest barely moving and cold, cold, cold, and the others really chilled.

Breaking open my RT Toolbox of Tips and Tricks, I popped them all in my front next to my skin while I pulled out the bag of Angora fiber and shredded it for the last small basket that I lined with paper towels. The babies weren't warmed well yet, so I had the ex grab a quart ziplock and put water in it and slip it inside an old tube sock. He nuked it until it was warm and I tucked it down in the basket to warm up the Angora fur for a minute. Once the fiber was warmed, I tucked the smallest kit down next to the waterbag and piled the other kits (mostly warmed by this time) over and around the smallest, and tucked the warmed fiber on top. We then nuked a larger towel and set the basket on top and wrapped ONE side and the top of the basket with that.

An hour later, all was warm and moist inside, so I pulled the water bag, plopped a runt from a 3 day old litter in to help keep the warmth up.

I am glad to say that when I found the litter, the doe had already fed them and they don't seem to be any worse for wear despite being chilled with a belly full of milk. We will see how many make it through the night, but it has been 5+ hours since I found them, and all still alive.

:thankyou: to all the great folks with all the great information and suggestions on RT!!!!

Well done! Kits down the front feel so odd, dont they? I usually use my kids bellies to warm chilled kits while I rush round getting warm nests set up. My eldest son got his first hicky from a newly warmed up bunny trying to nurse on his belly! :lol:

This place is GREAT! So many of my rabbits are alive today that just wouldnt have made it if I didnt have this place to come to in times of trouble.

Because of what I learned here my creme De'Argents kits survived when a storm blew down the tarp in my rabbitry. I found the nest completely soaked and the kits chilled. I was able to save all but one. Isn't Rabbit talk great.

Well, I am happy to say that EVERY ONE survived ... even the runt that was so very cold and barely moving.

Yes, GBov, they are a bit funny feeling, but as they warmed and started moving around, that was the best!

No hickies here, but that is hilarious about your son! I can just see the school counselor asking him to explain how he got a hickey at such a young age :cheesysmile:

AnnClaire":g7ypaq7r said:
Well, I am happy to say that EVERY ONE survived ... even the runt that was so very cold and barely moving.

Yes, GBov, they are a bit funny feeling, but as they warmed and started moving around, that was the best!

No hickies here, but that is hilarious about your son! I can just see the school counselor asking him to explain how he got a hickey at such a young age :cheesysmile:

They already think him a bit odd for having livestock in the back yard and eating them :roll: so glad they missed the hickey!

Am soooo glad your buns made it, it gives a special kind of pleasure to see a litter grow and thrive that is only alive because YOU saved it! :cool:

Latest posts

Back